Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I want to build a hackintosh, but I don't have a Mac anymore.

Will a budget mac mini suffice for making boot disks? or do I need a newer one with UEFI BIOS?

What's the oldest supported Mac?

I am working on a Ryzen Build wen they come in stock.

I may convert my current Z390 build to dual boot (Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming) for some practice, until the new Ryzen chips come back in stock.

Thanks for any advice
-=Mark=-

You could use gibMacOS and Windows to download the MacOS version you want.

Most any Mac from 2007 or newer will also work with gibMacOS to download from Apple servers.
You will need to have 2GB of ram or more to upgrade it to Lion or newer to make the USB installer.

Last edited:
So, I could create an install disk from windows with the gibMac?

That would be awesome!

Thanks for the links. I'll see what I can do.

So, I could create an install disk from windows with the gibMacOS?
Yes that's the idea. It's more work and more time consuming than using a Mac or Hackintosh but it can be done.

Well, I ran in to an iMac that is roughly 4-6 years old and won't boot. It gets the apple logo then gets the circle with the line though it and hangs forever.

Is there a way to make some type of an official MacOS install, recovery, or boot disk?

I know nothing about the iMac and it has no markings on it whatsoever that I can tell any kind of info about it.

If you can help lead me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

And thanks again for the help provided so far. I am still progressing on my windows installer for MacOS. It's a bit over my head, but read more and more on it everyday.

Is there a way to make some type of an official MacOS install, recovery, or boot disk?
Hold down the command and R keys at the same time and then power up the iMac. What happens ?

Post a picture of the iMac and I can possibly tell you what year it's from.

Well, I ran in to an iMac that is roughly 4-6 years old and won't boot. It gets the apple logo then gets the circle with the line though it and hangs forever.

I know nothing about the iMac and it has no markings on it whatsoever that I can tell any kind of info about it.

If you can help lead me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

And thanks again for the help provided so far. I am still progressing on my windows installer for MacOS. It's a bit over my head, but read more and more on it everyday.
Hey the markings including the model number are there someplace. On my 2007 iMac the information is printed on the bottom side of the foot so it is never seen in normal orientation.

Neil

Yes, I finally found the command+R recovery function. First Aid says HDD is unrecoverable and can't fix error and install osx says no disk to install to. I'm trying a UDB3 to sata on my Kingston 120GB SSD as I heard it will still be faster than HDD. If it works, I may go thunder port enclosure, as it's suppose to be twice as fast or more than USB. Not sure if I have Thunderport 1, 2, or 3. It looks like a thunder bolt 1 or 2 port as it is more rectangular.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
The iMac is definitely 2012 or newer so it should be perfectly usable to create a USB installer on.
They called those TH ports mini DP back then because they used that connector type port. Later they changed them to USB type C. It doesn't really matter which thunderbolt version they are. I'd guess TH2. May be TH1.

Hey the markings including the model number are there someplace. On my 2007 iMac the information is printed on the bottom side of the foot so it is never seen in normal orientation.

Neil

I didn't see anything when I toted it to the car, but I look now under it through my glass desk, and I can see a bunch of fine print. I should be able to find all of my info now.

The USB adapter is working on the install of High Sierra so far. Progressing slowly. Now I need to find an enclosure that supports thunderbolt 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back