Contribute
Register

"Mac in the Box" Hackintosh, for the budget minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is something new!
BTW if you are using cardboard, use a sharp knife to cut it with, those ragged edges are ugly.

Carry on!

Well this is something new!
BTW if you are using cardboard, use a sharp knife to cut it with, those ragged edges are ugly.

Carry on!

Not even a sharp knife stands up against cardboard, and the blade will dull in mins. Best if you use exact-o knife and replace the blade every two or three cuts. I had some sharp knifes that did not even make it threw model Builidng projects. I guess if you had a grinding stone you could sharpen the knife every few cuts.

Box knife is the way to go. A straight edge with a backing material under the cardboard like another piece of cardboard. Hot glue gun works wonders for joints. A little dab will do ya.

I used to build molds for fuel tanks we would use high grade cardboard and 3/4” particle board strips for rigidity. We used staple gun, glue gun, masking tape. After a mold was built it would be wrapped in masking tape then wrapped in fiberglass cloth. The cloth would be seamed with a wood burner “kinda melted together. It was coated with polyurethane and spun on a rotisserie. The next day a hole was cut for the pump and gas fill flange. It was filled with water then soaked for an hour and the cardboard and wood would soften so you could break it down and remove it.

it got filled with fuel resistant foam blocks, a pump and flanges then placed im an aluminum can (tank). Racing cells that would not explode on impact, they could catch fire but not explode.
Cardboard is an art substrate that is undervalued. You can take a dull Phillips head screwdriver and run it along the corrugated lines to score it for perfect bends. Cross scoring against the grain requires a straight edge and a dull flat head screw driver.

I know TMI!

Box knife is the way to go. A straight edge with a backing material under the cardboard like another piece of cardboard. Hot glue gun works wonders for joints. A little dab will do ya.

I used to build molds for fuel tanks we would use high grade cardboard and 3/4” particle board strips for rigidity. We used staple gun, glue gun, masking tape. After a mold was built it would be wrapped in masking tape then wrapped in fiberglass cloth. The cloth would be seamed with a wood burner “kinda melted together. It was coated with polyurethane and spun on a rotisserie. The next day a hole was cut for the pump and gas fill flange. It was filled with water then soaked for an hour and the cardboard and wood would soften so you could break it down and remove it.

it got filled with fuel resistant foam blocks, a pump and flanges then placed im an aluminum can (tank). Racing cells that would not explode on impact, they could catch fire but not explode.
Cardboard is an art substrate that is undervalued. You can take a dull Phillips head screwdriver and run it along the corrugated lines to score it for perfect bends. Cross scoring against the grain requires a straight edge and a dull flat head screw driver.

I know TMI!

I agree, cardboard is undervalued as a construction material, it's corrugated structure is surprisingly strong. It's a shame that this un-loved resource seems destined for one purpose, a recycled box!. Your experience with using cardboard to create non exploding racing fuel cells fills my head with wondrous construction possibilities!. It was important to me to try and avoid using adhesives, (though the suggestions of using aluminum tape are an option), instead choosing to cut slots as a method of construction. I also appreciate the suggestions of using, box knifes and dull Phillips screwdrivers, Yes the edges are a little rough, but in order to retain that Kadinsky yellow red blue aesthetic, my feelings were, sod it!, I'll just use scissors.

I did a "Mac on a box" to make sure that the hardware was working properly before I built my first PowerMac G5. :mrgreen: This was before I learned about the tonymacx86 website with all its great tools, though you can see a link to tonymacx86. The picture has been cropped to eliminate a problematic website name but still include the motherboard box on which the computer was set up.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 11.36.26 AM.png

Last edited:
I did a "Mac on a box" to make sure that the hardware was working properly before I built my first PowerMac G5. :mrgreen: This was before I learned about the tonymacx86 website with all its great tools, though you can see a link to tonymacx86. The picture has been cropped to eliminate a problematic website name but still include the motherboard box on which the computer was set up.

View attachment 465431
@DrTom I'm inspired by the compactness of your "Mac in the Box", you could almost fit all that in the top shelf. Originally the internals were from my 'Budget G5', then moved into a box!.

View attachment 465431

I have mine like this now xD . When you are testing things its the best way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back