Contribute
Register

"Mac in the Box" Hackintosh, for the budget minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume it is a metallic type paint used to block RF to meet United Laboratories guidelines.
Thank you @phunguss. Big fan of your Kaby-Lake HS inside Apple ][ Floppy Drive btw!.
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.38.55 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking covered in metal tape and with the other 1/2, this would make a good Faraday Cage.

IMG_1784.jpg

Craighazan, I really enjoyed reading your “Mac in the Box” thread. Good project and documentation.
I identify with your use of cardboard.

My choice for years has been sheet ABS plastic as it can easily be cut and shaped with simple hand tools. The ABS stock can be joined with plumbers ABS glue and I have used Acetone for solvent welds.

Again, good project and a good read.
neil

neilhart, thank you for your comments. The building and documenting of "Mac in the Box" was a really good distraction, tongue & cheek helped. I'm relieved that you've identified with my choice of material, cardboard.

I'm going to look into ABS plastic, or Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), for "Mac in the Box" 2!.

Conclusions:
Is cardboard a good material for building a Hackintosh?.
No, probably not!, it's flammable, it's not as strong as Aluminum or any other metal tbh.

Craig, this is a brilliant example of out-of-the-box and back-in-the-box thinking.

I did something similar 25 years ago using Coroplast to make a test rig and some hard drive brackets.

Yes, a little duct tape (or some CA glue used sparingly) would stabilize the structure, but . . . you'd lose that glorious Here Today, Gone Tomorrow design aesthetic. Maybe a ground strap wouldn't violate the spirit too much.

In any case, great work!

Craig, this is a brilliant example of out-of-the-box and back-in-the-box thinking.

I did something similar 25 years ago using Coroplast to make a test rig and some hard drive brackets.

Yes, a little duct tape (or some CA glue used sparingly) would stabilize the structure, but . . . you'd lose that glorious Here Today, Gone Tomorrow design aesthetic. Maybe a ground strap wouldn't violate the spirit too much.

In any case, great work!

Thank you for your kind words @gurnemanz. I enjoyed this project, I'm considering another one too. Though it's not recommend I encourage more people to try it at least once.

if I were using cardboard, I'd probably want to brush on a fibreglass resin on it to reinforce it - it's a trick used by some crafters and cosplay prop people.

Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing a computer built inside a bread box!

if I were using cardboard, I'd probably want to brush on a fibreglass resin on it to reinforce it - it's a trick used by some crafters and cosplay prop people.

Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing a computer built inside a bread box!
You sound like just the person this project was made for!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back