Contribute
Register

"Mac in the Box" Hackintosh, for the budget minded.

Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I think a little duct tape could go a long way with helping your structural integrity.
I agree!. originally I wanted to make this without any adhesive'

Btw, don't worry about fire too much. The system should shut itself down way before it ever gets near 451F.
I'm prepared!, I have a large bucket of cold water next to me on one side and the plug socket the other. Pull plug 1st obviously!. It reached 54 degrees, I was using Preview, spent a lot of time looking at spinning beach balls. Afterwards I quit all apps and it returned to high 30's, low 40's. I shut it down after that.

Just make sure you are using a power supply of decent quality.
Does the same PSU that powered my G5 count as "decent quality"?.

In my opinion, it looks fantastic. An absolute thing of beauty. :thumbup:
Your to kind. It's definitely unique!.

Excellent total cost. It would make no sense to me to spend a lot of money on a case for a system whose components total $87. Even $40 case would represent almost 50% of the total cost of the components.
Pretty sure I could get it lower, I have a 500GB WD Blue HDD I can install, just checked on eBay $14.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
The main problem with using cardboard is a lack of grounding for the motherboard and components. That's why you always mount the board on brass standoffs to ground it to the metal case.
Agreed. But @trs96 will I make it safer and useable if I mount the mobo onto brass standoffs and mount it to a plate that's part of the cardboard structure inside?.

I just want to point out this is not recommended, this is dangerous and stupid and will end up going wrong!.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
And the metal case in regular builds provides a Faraday cage.
Is tin foil conductive?.

I just want to point out this is not recommended, this is dangerous and stupid and will end up going wrong!.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
And the metal case in regular builds provides a Faraday cage.

I so like that Faraday Cage reference :thumbup:

My case gets struck by lightning it maybe blows the house fuses. This case get's struck, instant vapourisation!!!

:lol:

Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is probably the most useful site on the internet while were all on lock down right now!. Where else could you learn to build a "Mac in the Box", assuming you have Aluminum tape, 250W PSU, Dell 7010 Mobo, i3-3245, CPU fan, 500GB WD HDD, 4GB ram, (I forgot to include ram in my build, sorry!), just lying around. I'm getting a mug, I'm getting two mugs.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.1GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Does the same PSU that powered my G5 count as "decent quality"?.
Apple power supplies are usually pretty good. I think they are made by Delta.

Motherboard
Dell 7040 MT (Q170)
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have now reflected the true cost in this thread by including the 4GB ram stick, I have one of these, $18 from Newegg. I saved $16 by using the 500GB WD Blue HDD instead of the 1TB FireCuda. So the true price is $89.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASRock x99e-itx/ac
CPU
E5-2696 v3
Graphics
R9 Nano
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Classic
Mobile Phone
iOS
The original Macintosh and a lot of later models featured plastic exteriors. Inside later models they were often metal cages that worked as RF shields or Faraday cages. Early models not so much. On a 1992 production of a Macintosh Classic II that I own, the interior is painted with a dark gray substance that is slightly magnetic. I assume it is a metallic type paint used to block RF to meet United Laboratories guidelines.