1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Original 2013 post:
This was my first ever Mac G5 Mod. Decided to keep it simple and retain as much of the original case as I could.

Originally I had a Gateway Laptop that I decided years back to try and run MacOS. That's the first time I ran OSX Snow Leopard, it was a frustrating process but it finally worked. Then I did it on my friend's Sony VAIO Laptop. And finally decided to try it on a custom built machine to have more control.

I bought a non Functional Mac G5 Case and started to research on making this case work. It took me months to even start with buying parts since I wanted to make sure I had a case first.

First thing is first, I bought the ATX Conversion from The Hive. And the custom cables for the front I/O panel from BlackCHmods. I had a friend help me cut out the back of the case to afix the new Conversion Attachments. I went with the version with 2 x 80mm fans. Once that was done we cut half of the standoff at the top and left the DVD Drive caddy.

(These are after I disassembled the machine)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Once all of that was done I placed orders for my parts.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Gigabyte Motherboard - z77x-udh5
Intel core i5 unlocked 3570k
16GB DRR3 Ram 1866 (upgraded to 32gb)
1TB samsung evo Solid State
2 - 4TB Segate Drives
SILENCER MKII PSU 750w
4GB GTX 980 (later switched to AMD R9 280 for Final Cut use)
Rosewill Wifi and Bluetooth adapter
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Trackpad
2 - 27in HP WorkStations 2560x1400 resolution
1- 43in Samsung 4K TV (used later for Final Cut X)

Once all that was in place I started assebleming the machine. Everything went without a hitch. Except the Graphics. Had trouble with it in Mavericks even with drivers. So I switched to AMD with Yosemite upgrade. This machine powered my projects in media & design. Eventually started working with small short films and landed my first film project.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Updated Feb2017:
The machine finally gave up on me last year in Dec. 2016. motherboard issues. I started disasembling it and selling the machine for parts. Im now left with just the RAM and Graphics card. The case still sits in the office now but now I am trying to get rid of it to another fellow hackintosher. Anyone know who needs one or where to sell it?

Update Mar2017:
I finally was able to purchase a Mac Pro Late 2013 two weeks ago. Went with a 6-Core Model 16gb ram and 256gb, dual 3GB D500 graphics. Should be coming in this week. I plan on using existing drive in a USB3 or Thunderbolt enclosures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 282
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 285
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 297
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 335
Hey! Are you still looking for a new home for that G5 case? I've always wanted to replace my plastic case with the aluminum Apple Powermac G5 or Mac Pro case.

Hey! Are you still looking for a new home for that G5 case? I've always wanted to replace my plastic case with the aluminum Apple Powermac G5 or Mac Pro case.
Sorry. Just saw the thread where we cant sell or advertise things on here. Id hate to get banned or you in trouble. Sorry.
But feel free to check ebay or craigslist. Its listed there. Bakersfield, CA. Sorry again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back