Contribute
Register

Mac G5 ATX Conversion - Noob Attempt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its taken me 5 years to write a reply.

I’m pleased to say the G5 build is still going strong. I’ve moved house several times since building the machine, a real life saver that Apple designed these machines with the ‘handles’. Unfortunately its taken a little bit of a beating and now has some scuffs here and there, but it remains undented.

The graphics card and processor have change, but the rest is exactly how it was in the last post. The styling and design of these cases still appeals to me to this day, and I’m so glad I made this PC.

If I could change a few things, adding sound insulation would certainly be on the cards. The hard drives used in the original build are still the same I’m using now. They’ve developed a tick and clack sound after the years of service they’ve provided. I think I would also add some sort of dust screen behind the front mesh, as the components are absolutely caked in dust. Tonight was the first time I’ve had the side of since I changed the components in 2017. I think a long overdue service is well in order.

Thank you to those who supported me with this, I really hope your G5 builds came out as well as you had desired.

My next response will be in a few years I imagine. Until then.
everyday for 5 years i have been refreshing this page.....

only joking, well done though! :)

Okay, so I've just bought the original thing that I had in mind.

Unfortunately it can only hold 2.5" drives which doesn't quite accomplish what I wanted, but I guess I could install 2 ssd's for the same combined space along with a laptop hdd.

To reiterate, this is the item:

View attachment 136973

It cost me around £7 and is Prime eligible so I should get it this coming Tuesday and I should be able to fit it in the same evening, as I'm pretty sure I have some nuts and bolts laying around from doing the back panel!

Once this is installed the case build is complete. I may continue the thread with the hardware installation but it depends on how long it takes me to get the hardware together! But I'll certainly type up a conclusion once the hard drive mount is fitted - shame its black though!

Jack
I think I need a tray like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back