Contribute
Register

M.2 SSD drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently in the research phase of building a Hackintosh myself, and was wondering why the Gigabyte GA-Z170x_SOC Force, was not included on the April 2017 buyers guide. The reason I am asking under this thread is because it is comprised of 3 M.2 slots for insanely fast RAID 0 I/O. I'm wondering if the responses to gerardvanschip's post will shed some light on this subject.

Well, I just completed a built with a Gigabyte motherboard that has two of these M.2 slots. During the install phase, Disk Utility does not recognize the SSD in the M.2 slot. I've posted a question, and I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Well, I just completed a built with a Gigabyte motherboard that has two of these M.2 slots. During the install phase, Disk Utility does not recognize the SSD in the M.2 slot. I've posted a question, and I hope someone can shed some light on this.
Were the SSD's that you used, on the April 2017 buyers guide? I just noticed that there are some M.2's on the list, not the Samsung 960 EVO NVME that I was hoping for, but NVME's none the less.

For those of you contemplating a M.2 NVMe SSD, you first need to be aware that Apple uses a proprietary, modified version of the NVMe standard, so your M.2 NVMe SSD won't work OOB with macOS.

See RehabMan's [Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof.

I used RehabMan's procedures in my ASUS GENE motherboard based system; see the build description link in my signature block.

Unless you do a lot of large file transfers, I recommend you look at MyHero build description where I use a M.2 AHCI (SATA) SSD which works OOB but slightly slower than a NVMe drive.

For those of you contemplating a M.2 NVMe SSD, you first need to be aware that Apple uses a proprietary, modified version of the NVMe standard, so your M.2 NVMe SSD won't work OOB with macOS.

See RehabMan's [Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof.

I used RehabMan's procedures in my ASUS GENE motherboard based system; see the build description link in my signature block.

Unless you do a lot of large file transfers, I recommend you look at MyHero build description where I use a M.2 AHCI (SATA) SSD which works OOB but slightly slower than a NVMe drive.
This is exactly the information I was looking for... I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back