Contribute
Register

M.2 Samsung 950 PRO SSD NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a bug with the GenericNVME driver. Restarts cause a similar panic, a report has been given to the author and a debug is underway.
Any progress on this?
I installed El Captain on a 950 Pro + ASRock z170 fatal1ty gaming-itx/ac and with the driver downloaded a few days ago from the guy's website everything works great except it panics on every shutdown.

Thanks.

Any progress on this?
I installed El Captain on a 950 Pro + ASRock z170 fatal1ty gaming-itx/ac and with the driver downloaded a few days ago from the guy's website everything works great except it panics on every shutdown.

Thanks.

No progress that I'm aware of. Posts to the thread seem to have seized. Last report was Feb 10th with no response. You can check it out here : http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nvme-for-mac-pro-5-1.1919972/page-9

I'm not using it as a boot drive at the moment. If your drive is new, maybe could return/exchange it for an AHCI version which is still very fast and have a stable system.

Indeed no response. Still have the same problem as described there. Thought for a while it was a board issue, but then I saw this thread and had to conclude differently. It really seems to be some sort of luck as to whether it works or not. I have also sent a PM to the developer, to which he hasn't responded so far. I once saw a post that said the developer was aware of this and a debugging was underway, but that was in December.

I already received an SM951 AHCI replacement, have announced the return of my 950 Pro and will have to have actually returned it by coming thursday. So if no news appears somewhere soon, that will be the end of the NVMe story for me. Or - radical thought - Hackintosh. Would make things easier on the software side, too...

Hi guys,
I'm using my M.2 Samsung 950 PRO SSD NVMe as a boot drive with dual boot (Win10 and Capitan) at the moment.
Still have the same problem (shutdown and restart) as described there, but I “resolved” it temporally:
Just do the logout first and next do shutdown or restart from the login screen!
I use 6700K-4900MHz with 32GB – 3333MHz, Asus Z170-A.

Hi all,

I recently created an El Capitan USB boot drive using the standard method via Unibeast 6.1.1 integration of Multibeast - El Capitan 8.1.0 however there was no joy...at one point it got to the install screen and then hung.
Now I just get the big stop sign when attempting the install. Using the -v verbose flag I get the following error message:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no. hibernate wake: no
Error allocating 0x12717 pages at 0x000000000f07f000 alloc type 2
Could'nt allocate runtime area
Boot failed. sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

_

I've previously had good success modding the bios for BOOTABLE NVMe support and have had the Samsung 950 PRO SSD 512GB up and running Win 10 PRO 64 bit solidly since November 2015 as per the folks over at www.win-raid.com

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Gui...-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up-25.html (See post #381)

This is my first attempt at a Hackintosh using El Capitan 10.11.3. Is the clover boot loader missing the NVMe support in the current Unibeast? Will this support be added in the future or do you have to add it manually?

Any pointers on the Hackintosh install for a NMVe SSD gratefully accepted...or the exact nature of the error message above.

Cheers

Mobo: ASUS Z87-Deluxe UEFI bios v2103 efi modded for NVMe support
OS Drive: Samsung NVMe 950 PRO SSD 512GB on Addonics M.2 PCIe SSD adapter card X110 AD2M2S-PX4
RAM: 32GB DDR3 2400MHz G.Skill F3-2400C10-8GTX (4 x 8GB)
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
Graphic card: Asus GTX770-DC2
Power Supply: ENERMAX MAXREVO Series EMR1350EWT 1350W ATX12V / EPS12V v2.92, v2.8 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD

UPDATE:

1. Moved the keyboard and mouse to USB 2.0 port
2. Set the Mobo BIOS graphics settings to: IGP > disabled
PCIe primary > enabled

The error message went away, no boot hang and proceeded to installer.
As a first effort I let it install on a regular SATA ACHI drive on the Asmedia controller.
After running Multibeast and updating to the latest mac Nvidia driver all is sweetness and
light on El Capitan.

I will try again with NVMe efi Clover bootloader manual addition in the next week or so.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC02179.jpg
    DSC02179.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Hi all,

I recently created an El Capitan USB boot drive using the standard method via Unibeast 6.1.1 integration of Multibeast - El Capitan 8.1.0 however there was no joy...at one point it got to the install screen and then hung.
Now I just get the big stop sign when attempting the install. Using the -v verbose flag I get the following error message:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no. hibernate wake: no
Error allocating 0x12717 pages at 0x000000000f07f000 alloc type 2
Could'nt allocate runtime area
Boot failed. sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

_

I've previously had good success modding the bios for BOOTABLE NVMe support and have had the Samsung 950 PRO SSD 512GB up and running Win 10 PRO 64 bit solidly since November 2015 as per the folks over at www.win-raid.com

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Gui...-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up-25.html (See post #381)

This is my first attempt at a Hackintosh using El Capitan 10.11.3. Is the clover boot loader missing the NVMe support in the current Unibeast? Will this support be added in the future or do you have to add it manually?

Any pointers on the Hackintosh install for a NMVe SSD gratefully accepted...or the exact nature of the error message above.

Cheers

Mobo: ASUS Z87-Deluxe UEFI bios v2103 efi modded for NVMe support
OS Drive: Samsung NVMe 950 PRO SSD 512GB on Addonics M.2 PCIe SSD adapter card X110 AD2M2S-PX4
RAM: 32GB DDR3 2400MHz G.Skill F3-2400C10-8GTX (4 x 8GB)
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
Graphic card: Asus GTX770-DC2
Power Supply: ENERMAX MAXREVO Series EMR1350EWT 1350W ATX12V / EPS12V v2.92, v2.8 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD

@hancor
I'd say this is not NVMe-related, but to some of the memory fix drivers Clover uses. I don't use a *Beast method myself, but if you look inside EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI you will probably find OsxAptioFixDrv2 there. I believe for older boards OsxAptioFixDrv is needed instead. Maybe you can find it under EFI/Clover/drivers-off, then place it in drivers64UEFI and remove the other. Or you can extract it from the Clover ISO from SourceForge.

I updated to 10.11.4 and problem with shutdown and restart disappears.

:crazy:

DSC02304.jpgDSC02305.jpgDSC02306.jpgDSC02307.jpgDSC02308.jpg

Hi experts,

I previously installed OSX 10.11.3 on ACHI drive via the Asmedia SATA controller, which was relatively easy, via the Unibeast and Multibeast procedure.

I then upgraded to OSX 10.11.4 which was on an ACHI drive via the Asmedia SATA controller, which was relatively successful. Then installed the updated NVidia web drivers for 10.11.4 so far so good...being a complete Hackintosh newbie.

Went back into Windows 10 Pro to create some space, on the Samsung 950 PRO SSD by making the Windows boot disk smaller thereby creating as 156GB partition for a potential OSX 10.11.4 install on the NVMe drive.

I attempted to load the NVMe kext from within the existing install to attempt to even see the drive, no joy.

I then started messing with the definition file which on the original install was MacPro 3,1 and changed it to MacPro 6,1 to see if it might pick up the NVMe empty partition. No joy, wouldn't boot back in and hung
on the Apple progress bar, but if I waited long enough I got a white screen with the :beachball: rotating beach ball.

In any case, I restarted the ACHI partition with the boot flags, "nv_disable -v -x" and was able to get back into safe mode, but now I can't seem to boot off the USB stick either to attempt a reinstall on the Samsung 950 Pro empty partition.

I took a bunch of pics on a -v verbose reboot so hopefully that might be meaningful to the 'expert' crowd...

Currently, I have clover v3368 installed on the ACHI drive and the USB stick which I previously upgraded to an 10.11.4 installer, and it now hangs on the Apple progress bar as well.

Any cogent ideas out there?

Cheers

There is a bug with the GenericNVME driver. Restarts cause a similar panic, a report has been given to the author and a debug is underway.

@wildwillow
(intended this to be a PM, but I am not allowed to send one)

In this post you said there were bugs with the NVMe driver released by jim* and that a debugging was underway. There has been no news through any channel I know of, from Jim or anyone else, regarding this since that post. Jim has ignored posts on macrumors and private messages all the like, so perhaps you could illuminate me [us] a bit. Do you know whether the mentioned debugging ever take place, with any outcome? Has there been any (recent) communication about the state of the driver?

Hope you can clarify a bit.

EDIT: saw your later post again. So most of above has already been answered. You don't at the moment know anything that we don't know?

@abisin
Not for me, unfortunately.

@hancor
A *very* quick search suggests it is you system definition, MacPro6,1. Apparently it uses ECC RAM, which your system won't have, so the shown driver, AppleTyMCEDriver, panics. Remove it or try another definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back