Contribute
Register

M.2 Samsung 950 PRO SSD NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say that the Lycom-120 def work at full speed with the 951 non nvme. I'm booting on a x87 ud7th but only with a Usb flash drive because of the lack of bootrom

That is very good news. It is indeed according to what I read that the SM951 has to be AHCI (i.e. serial starting with MZHPV instead of MZVPV) and not NVMe. Also, I should have mentioned, personally I am only interested in this as a secondary drive, so not being able to boot from it would not be an issue for me.

May I please ask some more questions, I'd appreciate if you could reply:

1. What OSX version are you using?
2. Are you loading some special kext for this to be correctly seen by the system?
3. Any other modifications required on your side (i.e. bios hack, etc)?
4. Are the synthetic test performance figures up to what the drive is advertised, i.e. 2100/1200 read/write?

Thank you, we appreciate your input!

Anyone having any success with the M.2 Samsung 950 PRO SSD NVMe?

Extremely promising! The direct link such that you don't have to read the entire thread:

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Did not test it as I don't have a drive yet, but I would be very curious to find out other people's experience using it (especially on Z97).

As reported earlier on another thread I made. its works amazingly!

This is what Im using; the Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive
(MZVPV512HDGL-00000). It installs fine on a 17,1.

No bootable NVMe support yet exists in OSX.

Extremely promising! The direct link such that you don't have to read the entire thread:

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Did not test it as I don't have a drive yet, but I would be very curious to find out other people's experience using it (especially on Z97).

Preliminary testing shows that this driver does in fact enable M.2 NVMe drives to work for boot drive in OS X. Only on CustoMacs with the driver- not on Macs because of the EFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back