Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

I'm preparing to do a new build based around the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming micro ITX board. Am I right in thinking the M.2 NVMe SSD isn't worth the hassle?

Hi

I'm preparing to do a new build based around the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming micro ITX board. Am I right in thinking the M.2 NVMe SSD isn't worth the hassle?

You should be able to use a M.2 NVMe SSD if you install High Sierra or Mojave, which your motherboard paired with a suitable CPU should be able to run.

I got the impression from other posts that they have problems booting.

I got the impression from other posts that they have problems booting.

@orbec,

That used to be the case before MacOS supported non Apple NVMe SSD's, but High Sierra and Mojave now have native support for 3rd party OEM NVMe's so there are no patches or extra tricks required to make them work.

It's been like that for well over a year now.

As long as your BIOS supports booting from a NVMe drive you will have no issues, if your BIOS does not support booting from NVMe's then you can still install MacOS on to one and boot Clover from a EFI partition on a SATA drive which in turn will boot MacOS from a NVMe.

Cheers
Jay

@orbec,

That used to be the case before MacOS supported non Apple NVMe SSD's, but High Sierra and Mojave now have native support for 3rd party OEM NVMe's so there are no patches or extra tricks required to make them work.

It's been like that for well over a year now.

As long as your BIOS supports booting from a NVMe drive you will have no issues, if your BIOS does not support booting from NVMe's then you can still install MacOS on to one and boot Clover from a EFI partition on a SATA drive which in turn will boot MacOS from a NVMe.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you for the explanation Jay. I think I'll give it a try.

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back