Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi

I'm preparing to do a new build based around the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming micro ITX board. Am I right in thinking the M.2 NVMe SSD isn't worth the hassle?

Jamesbond007

Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi

I'm preparing to do a new build based around the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming micro ITX board. Am I right in thinking the M.2 NVMe SSD isn't worth the hassle?
You should be able to use a M.2 NVMe SSD if you install High Sierra or Mojave, which your motherboard paired with a suitable CPU should be able to run.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mobile Phone
Android
I got the impression from other posts that they have problems booting.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I got the impression from other posts that they have problems booting.

@orbec,

That used to be the case before MacOS supported non Apple NVMe SSD's, but High Sierra and Mojave now have native support for 3rd party OEM NVMe's so there are no patches or extra tricks required to make them work.

It's been like that for well over a year now.

As long as your BIOS supports booting from a NVMe drive you will have no issues, if your BIOS does not support booting from NVMe's then you can still install MacOS on to one and boot Clover from a EFI partition on a SATA drive which in turn will boot MacOS from a NVMe.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mobile Phone
Android
@orbec,

That used to be the case before MacOS supported non Apple NVMe SSD's, but High Sierra and Mojave now have native support for 3rd party OEM NVMe's so there are no patches or extra tricks required to make them work.

As long as your BIOS supports booting from a NVMe drive you will have no issues, if your BIOS does not support booting from NVMe's then you can still install MacOS on to one and boot Clover from a EFI partition on a SATA drive which in turn will boot MacOS from a NVMe.

Cheers
Jay
Thank you for the explanation Jay. I think I'll give it a try.

Cheers...

Motherboard
Dell 5570-Clover
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
@orbec,

Cheers
Jay
And what about power management?
Is it true that there is not a proper power management for third party NVMEs on macos?
I want to buy one but I'm afraid of battery drain.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
And what about power management?Is it true that there is not a proper power management for third party NVMEs on macos?

@DimitrisG,

Should not be an issue, i use a Samsung 1TB PM961 NVMe (PCIe x 4) which is the OEM version of the SM961 series of NVMe SSD's in my 2017 HP Spectre X360 and battery life is very good and the speed of the NVMe is pretty fast.

Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 13.01.40.png

As long as you stick with a good quality NVMe (preferably Samsung) you should be fine.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Dell 5570-Clover
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
@DimitrisG,

Should not be an issue, i use a Samsung 1TB PM961 NVMe (PCIe x 4) which is the OEM version of the SM961 series of NVMe SSD's in my 2017 HP Spectre X360 and battery life is very good and the speed of the NVMe is pretty fast.

View attachment 411054

As long as you stick with a good quality NVMe (preferably Samsung) you should be fine.

Cheers
Jay
Have you seen any real life improvements over a traditinal ssd , like on opening apps etc?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Have you seen any real life improvements over a traditinal ssd , like on opening apps etc?
Yes,

A good SATA-3 connected SSD's will top out around ~550MBs, A good NVMe will be at least 4-5 times faster at reads and at least 3 times faster at writes .... so Apps load and run faster, OS boots quicker ... etc

My NVMe is a few years old now ... current gen Samsung NVMe's can do over 2500 MBs writes and over 3000MBs reads.

Overall it just makes MacOS much snappier

Cheers
Jay