2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
noctua_nh_l9i_2.jpg

noctua_nh_l9i_3.jpg

I know I know not a mod but I popped this in here because it can be utilized nicely into a mod and a small mod at that :)

For all you small HTPC case owners and small form factor case modders here is a great little quiet CPU cooler for you. The Noctua NH-L9i and NH-L9a low profile CPU coolers for Intel and AMD. They are a low profile cooler with only 37mm of hight, the NH-L9 provides full compatibility with tall RAM modules and VGA cards on mini-ITX mainboards. They are equipped with a new NF-A9x14 PWM premium fan for a very quiet performance.

"The response on our first low profile cooler, the NH-L12, has been overwhelming", says Mag. Roland Mossig, Noctua CEO. "However, users asked for even smaller, lower height models that also provide better compatibility for extra slim, ITX based HTPCs. We're thrilled that we can now meet this demand with the new NH-L9 coolers."

The NH-L9i and NH-L9a have a slim 23mm heatsink and the NF-A9x14 low profile fan that measures only 14mm in thickness, the NH-L9 coolers stand a mere 37mm tall. The heatsinks have a 95x95mm (NH-L9i) and 92x114mm (NH-L9a) footprint. They also support PWM for fully automatic speed control, the NF-A9x14 allows the NH-L9 coolers to stay remarkably quiet. The included Low-Noise Adaptor (L.N.A.) allows to reduce the maximum fan speed from 2500 to 1800rpm and makes it possible to create near-silent setups.

The NH-L9's both use the SecuFirm2 mounting system for AMD and Intel systems that offer extended compatibility with mini-ITX boards and make installation easier than ever, all while maintaining the trusted SecuFirm2 quality.

For anyone building a custom Apple desktop mod or a PC desktop mod, this could really save some space inside the case.

Price and availability
The NH-L9i and NH-L9a will be available at a recommended retail price of EUR 39.90 / USD 47.90.

Noctua NH-L9i on Amazon
Noctua NH series on Amazon

Check out the details: Noctua NH-L9 Series Low Profile CPU Coolers.

Got to love that cooler.

Noctua, expensive but gloriously quiet (or at least usually!).

Minihack, what do you think about this replacing my copper heatsink only setup in my cube? Enough clearance at 37mm? Obviously once I get my hands on another original heatsink ill give our copper cube to original heatsink contraption a try but think of this as a short term upgrade

Obviously it'd be good too to also have something (base fan or top fans) to encourage air out of the top of the cube, but I'd expect this cooler to do a good job even in isolation.

Well, I picked one of these up, along with the PWM version of my 80mm Noctua fan. It definitely dropped my temps a couple degrees, but I am now thinking about removing the L.N.A. to see if the increase in sound is worth it. One thing to note is that the thing just barely first in my Cubeprobably a millimeter or less of clearance with the original heatsink/handles and a similar clearance with the touch sensor. The touch sensor doesn't work properly when the Cube is on it's side, only when it is hanging upside down in its plexiglas home. A problem with the cooler is that it only blows down...I was hoping it would pull air up from the CPU. Maybe I am crazy and that would be worse for cooling but that's how I envisioned it...pulling hot air up from the cpu and the 80mm fan from below shooting it out the top vent. Anyway, I tried flipping the fan, but the screw holes are not two way. A little scraping of plastic would fix it, but I think I may be coming up to the point of diminishing returns. My Cube sleeps/wakes, has a touch sensor, has original speakers, etc so it might be time to let him live in peace.

Well...A problem with the cooler is that it only blows down...I was hoping it would pull air up from the CPU. Maybe I am crazy and that would be worse for cooling but that's how I envisioned it...pulling hot air up from the cpu and the 80mm fan from below shooting it out the top vent. Anyway, I tried flipping the fan, but the screw holes are not two way. A little scraping of plastic would fix it, but I think I may be coming up to the point of diminishing returns. My Cube sleeps/wakes, has a touch sensor, has original speakers, etc so it might be time to let him live in peace.

Most CPU coolers blow down because it aides in cooling nearby components.

Is anyone able to offer a comparison between this cooler and the "GELID Slim Silence" cooler. I am looking for a cooler for an Ivy Bridge i3 and Q77 Intel thin mini itx board and want to know which is best in terms of

Noise
Cooling efficiency
Size,

on the last point, in height they look similar, but width depth I have read several post where the GELL has to be cut down a little bit to clear USB headers on the intel DQ77KB motherboard, how does this cooler compare?

Most CPU coolers blow down because it aides in cooling nearby components.
Indeed. But note that the fins on the NH-L9i mean that the outgoing air only goes out two sides, so you should consider carefully which way you mount it.

In my thornbill build I found the Northbridge temps dropped by 10C (follow that link and scroll down to the Temperatures note) simply due to me rotating the NH-L9i by 90 degrees.

I do like this cooler. Quiet and very effective on my i3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back