Contribute
Register

Low profile graphics card for Mountain Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G41
CPU
Intel Core i5-4570
Graphics
Geforce GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
I am in need of a low profile graphics card for my mini-itx build. My CPU has Intel HD 2000 graphics which is not supported with Mountain Lion. I need one that works on Mountain Lion without any (OOB) or much hacking required to get it to work. I have tried the ASUS GeFroce 210 but the heat sink on it was too big and wouldn't fit in my case. I have a Apex MI-008 case. My specs are a Foxconn H67S motherboard, Intel Celeron G530 processor, 4GB ram, 500Gb hard drive, and Retail Mountain Lion (GM). My budget is less than $100. I am very new to the whole Hackintosh and Hackintosh community so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!:D

The problem with the GT520 is that the heatsink is WAYYY too big for my case.

Are you sure the 6750 is low profile? Because it looks kinda big...

Are you sure the 6750 is low profile? Because it looks kinda big...

The ASUS one is Low Profile and I use it in a low profile case that has no extra room above the low profile mounting bracket. The heatsink on the card is big and will likely block the slot next to it as it does on my motherboard (GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Rev. 1.0).

Here is the graphics card I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441

When using it low profile, I personally unplugged and removed the VGA port from the card (It unplugs from a header on the card) and only have the DVI and HDMI available to use, but from what I understand VGA doesn't work anyway.

Dil83

Oh ok thanks! So does this one work on Mountain Lion? Have you tried it?

Works perfect with Mountain Lion, currently running 10.8.1 and with the DSDT edit I have audio over HDMI working great with my HTPC setup. The card performs surprisingly well for the price, ~40fps in Cinebench.

Dil83

Do you already have Mountain Lion installed? If not, there is a small workaround for installing with an AMD HD 6xxx series card in order get past a white screen. You may be able to just use your unsupported HD 2000 graphics just for the installation process, and then add the HD 6570 afterwards, but I'm not sure about that. For some reason the installer gets stuck on a white screen with the HD 6xxx series cards, but the card works fine once the OS is installed.

Dil83

I already have Mountain Lion installed. Ya i know that u have to do a work around but dont really know how to do it when the operating system is already install on the computer. There has been a few people telling me about getting a Zotac GeForce GT 520 graphics card. I am still trying to choose weather I get the radeon one u suggested or the gt 520.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back