Contribute
Register

Low Profile CPU Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about a higher one but that defeats the purpose of a slim one. There really is not much room in this mini itx case after putting it the full size psu and 5x HDDs.

I thought about a higher one but that defauts the purpose of a slim one. There really is not much room in this mini itx case after putting it the full size atc psu and 5x HDDs.
What other coolers have you tried, just compare the specs of the ones you have tried with the ones listed to find something smaller. The Zalman is the smallest, but would caution a small cooler if you have an i7 (or highly rated TDP processor), or want to OC. You need something that is rated for the job.

If you are having heat issues it may be the CPU itself. There are some reported issues with Ivy Bridge processors where the internal thermal paste used from the top of the die, to the outer heat spreader is not providing adequate thermal transfer.

I had no heat issues when i was using my H60 water cooler but now its on the stock intel cooler which is junk and also kinda big for this case.
Here is my opinion based on your use of i7-3770 (77w) in your server build.

The "Xigmatek - Praeton LD963" - would probably fit, event though it is raised it doesn't add significant height. Because it isn't symmetrical in size, you get options for different rotations. My Cube Build Log has some more detailed pictures.

The "Phanteks PH-TC90LS CPU Cooler" - may fit, but if you want to be sure go for the "Dynatron K129" which is 5mm smaller. The Dynatron is hard to fit (see my Cube Inspired Build Log). The Dynatron (isn't rated) but its aluminium brother the "K1" is rated at 85w, so assume the copper "K129" is higher.

The other possibility is the "Zalman CNPS2X", on paper looks amazing, but this is untested on this forum.

Update - I have now included the Zalman, and he SCYTHE Kozuti in the first post, now have 11 options. Thanks for contributions.

That Zalman looks amazing. I wonder if it'd clear the two USB headers on the DQ77KB? If so, it may be the ticket for an i7 Cube. Can't really dremel it out like the Gelid, so it appears.

Hmmmm....

Ersterhernd

Very interesting thread! I look for a thin cpu cooler for my next build into a G4 Cube Case.
What do you think about Zalman cooler? Is the best option, in theory, but in the footer notes at the zalman web site says that the cooler must be use with 120mm fan (maybe in the case)
My dream is the Noctua sink, but perhaps is too taller...

Very interesting thread! I look for a thin cpu cooler for my next build into a G4 Cube Case.
What do you think about Zalman cooler? Is the best option, in theory, but in the footer notes at the zalman web site says that the cooler must be use with 120mm fan (maybe in the case)
My dream is the Noctua sink, but perhaps is too taller...
Firstly any of the coolers are suitable for a lower power e.g. i3 processor 55w or less. It is only when you want to run a higher rated i7 - 65w or above that the decision become important.

Having never used the Zalman cooler it is hard to tell, but it does look like a very good option for a cube build. The specs are very impressive, size is very good, and 120mm would have to refer to the case fan. The Gelid slim silence struggles with an i7 processor. Of these two I would recommend the Zalman.

Note: If you go with a Zalman you still need to solve the issue of getting hot air out of the case, which generally is done by small top mounted fans.

Probably I'll put a Zalman cooler in my build, because I have good experience with this brand.
My only fear is the min. rpm, I don't want a louder fan! I'll use an i3-3225 cpu.
So is best a top mounted fan for getting hot air out of the case, for you?
I think that a big bottom mounted fan is better, isn't it?

P.s. Sorry for my poor english, I'm Italian...

We might have a new champion for the slimmest CPU cooler on the market.

Silverstone AR04
104mm (W) x 95mm (D) x 23mm (H)
ar04-34.jpg

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=418&area=en

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back