Contribute
Register

Low-Power Cube with Discrete GPU Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ShatteredAvenger,

Do you think you could upload the draw files when you get a chance? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Do you think you could upload the draw files when you get a chance? Would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you should be able to access this Fusion360 file here - You may need to edit it a little yourself. This was the final version I ended up printing and it mostly fits, but it could be tweaked a bit further probably around the USB/PS2 port.

Fusion360 file

Here's the .stl file in case you can't access Fusion360 or something like that. You should be able to feed this straight to the printer. I used ABS in mine.

.stl file

Again, this is for the GA-H270n, though I suspect it would also work with the H170 variation.

instant edit: forgot to mention, there's an "extra" hole above the HDMI ports- that's for the power input for the PicoPSU. You could easily remove that hole in the file if you don't need it.

Thank you very much for the files. Will be using PicoPSU as well and the hole will be needed.

No problem! Would love to see photos of your build once it's done. I just need to get a power button solution and I think mine will finally be finished.

-Josh

Edited the first post with final details + more pictures

Stumbled upon this post and just wanted to give you props!! The Cube is such a cool design that I wasn't even familiar with until very recently from this forum. Looked it up and realized it stopped being sold shortly before I got my first Mac in 2003 (PowerBook G4--still boots!). Anyway, I wanted to say great job.

Also, what are your thoughts on the 1050 ti? I don't game, but I was thinking about getting a decent card for playing around with some light video editing and being able to maybe try to some cheaper (non-AAA) steam games and emulators. Was thinking about the 1050 ti as a potentially better investment with 4GB of RAM, but I wonder if a cheapo 1030 at half the price might be all I really need.

Thanks! It was definitely a fun little exercise. Still running just fine and it stays pretty dust free since it's up on the desk.

Also, what are your thoughts on the 1050 ti? I don't game, but I was thinking about getting a decent card for playing around with some light video editing and being able to maybe try to some cheaper (non-AAA) steam games and emulators. Was thinking about the 1050 ti as a potentially better investment with 4GB of RAM, but I wonder if a cheapo 1030 at half the price might be all I really need.

I honestly don't know much about the 1030, but it looks like a pretty decent card too. I would say so long you're not looking to crank through editing a bunch of 4k video that you'd probably be okay. I think the 1050 probably has a little more longevity, but the 1030 still seems like a decent alternative if you're not looking to play many games.

Cool, thanks for the reply. As of right now, we don't even own a 4k display, and I mostly shoot family vids on my phone at 1080, so I bet the 1030 would be fine. Tom's Hardware recommends it as a decent card for esports and HD gaming. I just wanna dabble in video editing to learn something new. Then again, maybe the mining craze will have completely died down by the time I build and I can snag a 1050 or 1050ti at a sweet price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back