Contribute
Register

Lost Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran into the same issue with my board, after the 10.7 update, no sound.

So I ran MultiBeast 3.8.0 with only the ALC8xxx injector first + System Utilities, nothing.

Then, I select the ALC8xx injector plus the AppleHDA rollback + System Utilities, got a kernel panic at the very end. Rebooted, and all is good.

mbo1951 said:
I lost sound, too. Go into your System Extensions and remove all of the HDA audio extensions. (Drag them to your desktop or to the trash.) Open Multibeast 3.8 and reselect your audio. Then reboot. That should resolve your problem. (I still need to reconfigure HD Audio, but at least I have stereo back for now.)

Good luck.

Worked, Thanks!

Glad it worked for ya. I also got HD 5.1 video working by using the 892 beta installer and then going into the Midi Audio controller and creating an aggregate device.

Good luck!

marques0 said:
Worked. Thank you so much.

There was a lot of lost files in the extension folder. After removing the files, replacing them and fixing the permissions with multibeast the sound worked.

Thanks again!

marques0 said:
I read somewhere that when using the voodo kexts the sound was not optimized, and had some bugs. Anyway, everything is working great now.

If your sound is not working, just clean up every sound related file (except the IO ones) you have in the /System/Library/Extensions folder and in the /Extra/Extensions folder. After that, re-run the lastest version of Multibeast, Select the ALC8xxHDA and the AppleHDA Rollback options under Drivers & Bootloaders=>Kexts & Enablers=>Audio. Select also the options Rebuild Caches and Repair Permissions.

After restart sound was working. The important part is cleaning up the directories, just running multibeast over the lion installation didn't work.

Thanks to you an mbo1951 sound now works. Thanks!
I removed files from /System/Extensions and /Extra/Extensions :
- ALC8xxHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions
- AppleHDA.kext in /System/Extensions
- HDAEnabler889.kext in /System/Extensions
On a Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 motherboard with the ALC889 audio chip.
During the multi beast (re)install I checked HLC8xxHDA and AppleHDA Rollback options as marques0 wisely recommended.

Also remember that you may need to reinstall the Kext for your particular audio chipset (892, 899, etc.). Check your MB manual for info on what chipset the audio is.

I tried what you guys suggested: removing the old kexts and using MB to reinstall them. However I'm still not getting sound. In fact, I can't even boot back into lion. A second after I select the lion partition and hit enter, my computer instantly restarts. Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

c707h3j said:
I tried what you guys suggested: removing the old kexts and using MB to reinstall them. However I'm still not getting sound. In fact, I can't even boot back into lion. A second after I select the lion partition and hit enter, my computer instantly restarts. Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

same problem here. currently trying to get it working without the voodoo stuff. the way i am able boot back into lion (with no sound) is to first boot to the installer partition and remove both the audio kexts with terminal and reboot.

this is how i got working sound working on my ga-z68mx-ud2h-b3 with alc889:
-removed all audio kexts as mentioned in this thread
-installed the ALC8xx driver and the ALC889 HDAEnabler from multibeast 3.8.0
-installed the following kext with kextbeast: http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1426

front audio ports don't work and everything is stereo only, but rear audio ports work. i feel this is better than using the voodoo stuff for now.

Edit: fwiw I managed to get the rollback kext to work by setting my video memory (on-chip frame buffer size, as it's called in my BIOS) to anything lower than max. I don't know if this is a problem with my motherboard or the kext, but I was able to reproduce the issue with completely consistent results. Max video memory = reboot when loading applehda.kext. Delete applehda.kext OR reduce video memory in bios = boot fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back