GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi Guys,

All was going so well... apart from some small glitches with my graphics when I run two monitors from the Dual DVI on the ATI 5770 Sapphire Graphics card, all was great... that was until I started to mess around with the sound.

I was playing some music last night and it had quite a high bass and the sound was very distorted and crackling, so I thought I might use MultiBeast again to see if I could sort it out, but now I can't seem to get any sound at all. I have tried all options on MultiBeast but still won't give me any sound. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Is there anything you guys would suggest? or is there any Kexts that need to be deleted and reinstalled to make it work?

Another question is that I have an old Sound Blaster Sound card from my old computer, its PCI (not sure if my motherboard has a PCI slot) but if it did, do you know if OSX supports these types of cards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

JT

jt8277 said:
Hi Guys,

Another question is that I have an old Sound Blaster Sound card from my old computer, its PCI (not sure if my motherboard has a PCI slot) but if it did, do you know if OSX supports these types of cards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

JT

The Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 motherboard does not have a PCI slot. So you can't use your old Sound Blaster card with it.

I am using an old Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value sound card with my system. It works in both Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.2 using the kX audio driver 1.11 (with sound output only, no input).

The kX audio driver supports the Creative Sound Blaster Live and Sound Blaster Audigy 1/2 family of sound cards.

I have experienced a couple of quirky things when recovering sound recently. I can't totally explain why they happened, but I know what worked in fixing them. On every GA-Z68XP-xxx motherboard I have (three different models) and every GA-P55-xxx series motherboard (three different models also), I have had to run Multibeast twice, and in once case actually shut the computer down (vs reboot alone) and reboot in order to get the sound back.

In each of these cases when I ran the combo update and tried to run Multibeast before reboot, I got a "Failure" message from Multibeast. So I have reverted to not trying to run Multibeast prior to rebooting after doing the 10.7.2 combo update. I just reboot after the update and then run Multibeast twice selecting HDArollback. That has usually worked.

There was one exception to that. On my GA-P55-UD4P motherboard, I dual boot OSX Snow Leopard and Lion. When I ran Multibeast twice, nothing worked. I worked for a couple of hours trying to figure out what exactly did happen. I finally examined the files in the /Extras/Extensions folder and found TWO copies of a sound kext. I am not at that computer right now, so can't actually tell you what their names are, but the contained xx889xx.kext and xx889axx.kext. I deleted the xx889a.kext file (saved it just in case), rebooted, and sound worked.

You have the Realtek ALC889 chipset on your motherboard, and it is usually well supported. All you should have to do is run Multibeast (use v4.0.3), and select two options, 1] System Utilities and 2] Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> and check AppleHDA Rollback. Again, run it twice and actually shut down the computer between them if it doesn't work. You might also have to reinstall the ALC8xxHDA, which I did and that could have been the source of my duplicate kexts.

If that doesn't work, look for those duplicate sound kexts in the /E folder.

Try those things and see if it helps.

Hi tofuconfetti

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try that out and let you know.

Thanks

JT

I have the same board.

After each upgrade, the sound goes out.

To fix this I run:
Screen Shot 2011-10-19 at 9.16.32 AM.png

And then restart.

After I installed 10.7.2 I had to do this twice. For some strange reason it didn't "stick"

I hope this helps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-19 at 9.16.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-19 at 9.16.32 AM.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 185
Hi AndrewNewBaker,

Thank you for your contribution... I completely frustrated now... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I have tried removing the Kexts from the System/Extensions/ directory, I installed MultiBeast several times with your suggestions.

I knew I shouldn't have played around with the sound drivers. I really do not want to have to re-install from scratch. If necessary I will try to get a USB Sound Device.

Thanks for all your help guys.

JT

:banghead: :banghead:
I just decided that it was time to re-install the whole system. Thankfully I had not installed a lot of software. Doing so, has made all the difference to the sound... Isn't that weird :crazy:

Anyways, I want to thank you all for checking this out and providing your suggestions.

Your

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back