X5650
Graphics
HD 7970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Lost iMessage ability [SOLVED]

Recently lost iMessage ability on all my devices. In the process of recovering, I discovered that my Hackintosh cannot log in - possible serial number issue? I can change the serial number in the SMBios using Chameleon Wizard, but no matter what I do the serial does not change in About this Mac (which might interfere with signing in. I have followed several "fixes", none work.
How can I get the serial number to change in about this Mac (I have trashed pref files), so I can log in.
Help and thank you!

Just to add to this, my Hack was working fine the last few months and this morning, came back to it later this evening and i cant sign into Imessage, "Your Apple ID cant be used to set up iMessge at this time. My phone and Macbook pro work ok so its a Hack thing. :(

Yeah...
Just adding to my info, I can change my serial in chameleon wizard, but the old (non working) one stays in About this Mac and in the detailed system info pages.

Thank you. Seems like Apple is securing their services (after hack). Anything special I need to know if I have a Fusion drive? Is there and extra folder on the hidden disk, in addition to the normal visible one? Which would kinda explain why any change I made would not reflect in About this Mac.

Tried a few more tries. For some reason my NVRAM plist UUID keeps changing back to a default(?) value every reboot (I have editing the plist, put the value in the boot plist, generated new serials, etc.), rendering imessage still not working. How can I keep the UUID value in the plist from changing - I think this is my problem, system UUID values don't match.

Ok, I'm back up, it was a lock code or something, call the Apple helpline and quoted the number on the screen and click of a button i was back up and running.. think it was to do with the latest leaks.

Also have had to follow the Fix iMessage post before .. it works just go slow.

Regards.

G.

Yeah I have tried all of that, even calling Apple - no go.
I think it has to do with that I have a fusion drive, not quite sure how I need to update the boot loader to pull the correct info. As of now any change I make to the serial does not show in about this mac, or in system profiler - so it is pulling the info from somewhere else. How to I update the bootloader/Extra folder on a fusion drive? Not quite sure, I have tried to follow a bunch of suggestions online - but not 100% sure. Thank you.

A clue! Seems like I have been booting from Chimera from another hard drive (since I set up the fusion drive) - where it will pick up all the settings. Found out by trying to use another boot disk to see if I could log into iMessage from there. The serial number I changed to is now on my Fusion drive. Now to find time to test.

Yep, that was it (not sure how). I was booting from the HD first and not from the SSD, so the values for iMessage was from there - never realized until the past week when I could no longer use iMessage. Now to figure out how to boot from the Fusion Drive (which I have on the card recommended here. May have to reset BIOS?). Thanks to all who answered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back