CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
OK, this is rapidly getting annoying. I had everything working perfectly on my Hackintosh (see sig) under 10.6.6 until I needed to borrow the video card for a few minutes to troubleshoot another machine. When I put it back in, I had no audio (ALC889a) or Ethernet. I was finally able to get Multibeast to run the Realtek ethernet enabler and get network back, but despite all efforts, the audio is still broken.

I've tried with and without DSDT, CMOS reset, HDA rollback, deleting the legacy Apple kexts, fixing permissions, everything I can think of, one at a time and together. I was able to install VoodooHDA and get sound working, but the quality is unacceptable - too quiet and noisy. I had the ALC8xxHDA kext installed and working perfectly; you could see all the devices in System Profiler and in the Audio pref pane. After this kerfuffle, it has never shown up again.

I'm also concerned that before this, Multibeast would set up 64-bit mode when I told it to. Now, even when I select 64-bit, it sets my plist back to i386 and I have to manually edit it to get 64 bit. I tried another copy of Multibeast with no success. Does Multibeast have a preference plist of its own? I'm tempted to delete it and see if this helps.

After trying everything I could think of, I looked at the Console log to see why the HDA code wasn't running. Interestingly, I saw these lines in the log:

Code:
Feb 26 20:19:43 : Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
Feb 26 20:19:43 : Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.
Feb 26 20:19:43 : Load net.osrom.kext.HDAEnabler failed; removing personalities.

Here's the offending kext:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x    3 root  wheel   102 Jul  3  2009 HDAEnabler.kext

So? Does this come from MultiBeast, or from Apple? How do I have a non-executable piece of code?

All right - this may be important. If HDAEnabler is installed by MultiBeast, I think there might be a corrupted version (please note that I only downloaded MultiBeast from this site :) ).

My HDAEnabler kext was definitely corrupted. I went to kexts.com and grabbed a backup version of HDAEnabler, installed it in /S/L/E and rebooted. With no other changes, my sound is now back and is exactly the same as it was when I originally did my install.

Here's the concern: When I originally installed OS X on my EP45, I am certain that I used either MultiBeast 3.0 or 3.1. When trying to recover from my issue of yesterday (which I do NOT blame on MultiBeast, of course) I used MultiBeast 3.2 to perform the kext wizardry. I probably selected HDARollback just to be certain I had the proper version in S/L/E. It's entirely possible that only my copy got corrupted after I downloaded it, but I downloaded and ran a second copy of MultiBeast with the same result.

So, hopefully this is a false alarm, but those of you having trouble with audio using HDAEnabler, please check your logs to see if you're getting the same error I listed above.

And thanks again to Tony and MacMan for supporting this site and all the Hackintosh enthusiasts.

Edit: please note that the "broken" kext was only about 29Kbytes as opposed to the one I now have, which is about 100KBytes...

did you have any other issues? I am having similar symptoms.. no device etc. randomly popped up. I downloaded HDAenabler from kexts.com and still cant get it to work. Did you leave anything out :(

Ultimately, what fixed it was the HDAEnabler - but I fixed permissions and made sure I either had DSDT edits for the ALC889a -or- the ALC88XHDA.kext installed in /E/E. I have no other special sound extensions or edits, because part of what I did during the troubleshooting was remove everything except the fakeSMC and nullCPUPowerManagement kexts and start working my way back.

I do have AppleHDA.kext installed in /S/L/E, but as far as I know it's never given me any problems.

Do you see any errors related to the audio kexts in system.log?

I keep getting

failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

and

: HDAEnabler.kext is not authentic; omitting from mkext.

i have no idea waht to do from here. i'm a noob.

it was working fine for a week or so and then i started having issues today...

It appears im also having issues with AppleHDA
:/

That's EXACTLY the issue I had. The kext was corrupted and wouldn't load.

Go to http://www.kexts.com/ and look in the downloads for HDAEnabler; I think that's where I found it. It needs to go into /S/L/E (manually) and then just rebuild the permissions in MultiBeast.

I've seen a couple of other instances of this, which makes me even more suspicious that there's a problem with the HDAEnabler kext in MultiBeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back