RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
lotroclient-2010-09-22-23-29-04-73-700x393.jpg
Lord Of The Rings Online, the MMO by Turbine Entertainment has made it's way over to the Mac as a Beta client. The game was originally released in 2007 and has recently been modified to a free-to-play model. After registering, you'll be presented a client download link for PC or Mac. It is a native port rather than an emulation which means that it's the same as the PC version so all updates and patches will be the same for Windows or OS X.

This is definitely the right direction for expanding Mac game play. Let us know how this performs on your CustoMac. Get your game-on!

Source:
http://signup.lotro.com/lotro.php?ftui=LOTROV&cl=75&hf=0&abrs=272_1351544865

LOTR Online Play Free-To-Play Beta Client For Mac

The port it self works great . But the downside is that the game is 17gb and you can only download the game trough a browser , there is no extra downloader .
But probably after they come out with the final version of the port there will be a detected downloader . Till then jdownloader it is :p

LOTR Online Play Free-To-Play Beta Client For Mac

It might be distributed thru Steam after the beta but who knows.

The port it self works great . But the downside is that the game is 17gb and you can only download the game trough a browser , there is no extra downloader .
But probably after they come out with the final version of the port there will be a detected downloader . Till then jdownloader it is :p

Just start the download with the browser, copy the downloadlink and proceed with it in jDownloader ;)
http://download.lotro.akamai.turbine.com/largecontent/lotro/Mac/Live/u08_0/highres/LotroLauncher.dmg worked for me.

Downloaded the game and fired it up.

37509-screen-shot-2012-11-08-7-16-47-am.jpg

So far, so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers to beelzebozo for the post, and mauga for the direct download link. :headbang:

Have installed it on my Hack and on the powermac at work :)

There are a few little things that mark it out as a beta, no sfx for the horses hooves when riding, quest panels can be a bit sluggish opening and when accepting/completing quests. (or maybe it's just cause I'm at the bottom of the earth)
Occasionally in a fight the action queue will stall and you are just left with auto attack (or running away).
Graphics obviously can't compete with DX11 and some of the textures can be a bit 'flat' looking.

Overall though it's pretty darn good for a beta, although if I were going on a raid I'd switch to windows, however if it means I can jump into LOTRO without having to reboot into windows then that means a few extra minutes of game time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back