Looking to build workstation for VJing, Video Editing, 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am in the early planning stages of building a powerful workstation that would be used mainly for VJing (Resolume Arena 6), editing (FCPx, After Effects) and possibly 3D real-time renders in TouchDesigner.

Based on the July 18 Buying Guides, I am leaning towards a configuration like this:
  • Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB
  • Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming WIFI
  • Intel Core i5-8600K
  • Thermaltake Slim X3 Low Profile
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (32GB)
  • Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB
  • Corsair RM650x 650W
  • TP-Link Archer T9E 802.11AC AC1900
  • Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Here are my comments/concerns:
- The RX 580 is my main reason for this build. Currently I have a MBP with integrated graphics so this has been a real drag preventing me to do any complex job without a lot of compromise on performance. I'm looking forward to a powerful dedicated GPU that's supported out-of-box.
- Regarding the CPU/MoBo combination, I am wondering how downgrading (to Core i3-8100/Gigabyte H370 HD3) would affect performance? It would save me a few hundred dollars.
- If I'm going with the Core i5, is the Thermaltake Slim X3 good enough if I decide to gently overclock?
- The buying guide lists Samsung 850 Evo SSDs. Any issues with Samsung 860 Evo series? They seem to be cheaper.
- Lastly, will a 650W PSU provide enough if I decide to overclock?

Based on current prices, this current list is likely to be the most expensive I could afford. Any cost saving compromise would be helpful. However, I probably won't buy in the short term, I'm researching/budgeting at this time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regarding the CPU/MoBo combination, I am wondering how downgrading (to Core i3-8100/Gigabyte H370 HD3) would affect performance? It would save me a few hundred dollars.
I would stay with the Z370 / 8600K you've listed above. It's worth the extra cost.

If I'm going with the Core i5, is the Thermaltake Slim X3 good enough if I decide to gently overclock?
No, there's no reason to use the slim X3 in your build. HAF XB max CPU cooler height: 180mm / 7.1inch (why low profile ?)
A much better low cost cooler (30-35 dollar range) would be either a CM Hyper 212 Evo or the Cryorig H7. Either of those will allow a decent overclock. The slim X3 won't. If you want a low cost, quieter dual fan cooler look into this one from Arctic.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP381DL/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The buying guide lists Samsung 850 Evo SSDs. Any issues with Samsung 860 Evo series?
I don't know of any problems, have never used those personally. Use Google search to find out.

Lastly, will a 650W PSU provide enough if I decide to overclock?
Yes, should be fine for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback, it certainly helps.
A much better low cost cooler (30-35 dollar range) would be either a CM Hyper 212 Evo
That makes sense. I only picked the Slim X3 because it was listed in the base CustoMac Pro configuration. I guess the Corsair Hydro Series H60 could also be a good upgrade pick on the Hyper 212 Evo?

I will do a bit of research on any potential issues with the SSDs.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back