HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Evening all.

My Core i5 Hack has been running brilliantly for several months now with the HD3000 graphics, but one of the intended uses of my hack was a bit of gaming. I was pretty set on a Radeon 6850/70 but now that Apple are intending to move back to Nvidia I've been a bit tempted. What's out there that's comparable in terms of price, noise and power consumption? Is there anything on OSX that takes advantage of CUDA?

Cheers!

ShadowTD said:
Evening all.

My Core i5 Hack has been running brilliantly for several months now with the HD3000 graphics, but one of the intended uses of my hack was a bit of gaming. I was pretty set on a Radeon 6850/70 but now that Apple are intending to move back to Nvidia I've been a bit tempted. What's out there that's comparable in terms of price, noise and power consumption? Is there anything on OSX that takes advantage of CUDA?

Cheers!

Lots of cuda enabled apps but it isn't really intended for gaming. Google it if you want to find out more about cuda apps. I didn't realize that apple had made any sort of public statement about going to nvidia. Best bang for your buck right now is probably the 6870.

Anyone else? I'm looking at the EVGA GTX 550ti at the moment.

Both the 6850/70 are better from a cost/performance POV, but i' ve been tempted by an nvidia upgrade aswell... it seems to me, that the AMD options can be a bit hit and miss - and your options are limited to cards with a standard layout of ports, which is something you don't need to consider when choosing nvidia (plz correct me if i'm wrong people :) )

With that said, if you choose a 6850/70 that someone else around these forums have success with, future support shouldn't be that much of a concern, as you can most likely just use older kexts if support changes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back