GIGABYTE Gigabyte Ultra Durable 5 GA-X79-UP4 Desktop Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011
Graphics
ASUS Corporate Stable
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello everyone!

It's been awhile since I've jumped into Hackintosh land. I built an amazing machine 5 years ago (running 10.9.5) for sound work on ProTools, but now I'm running into all sorts of application compatibility issues and it looks like I need to update. I really don't know where to start. I read that I can use a combo update to make the jump to El Capitan, and I have the 10.11.4 updater, but I'm hesitant.

Any advice on where to look or where to get started with research would be GREATLY greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Hello everyone!

It's been awhile since I've jumped into Hackintosh land. I built an amazing machine 5 years ago (running 10.9.5) for sound work on ProTools, but now I'm running into all sorts of application compatibility issues and it looks like I need to update. I really don't know where to start. I read that I can use a combo update to make the jump to El Capitan, and I have the 10.11.4 updater, but I'm hesitant.

Any advice on where to look or where to get started with research would be GREATLY greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

What is the graphics card you are using in your machine? A GTX 950? If so it is not supported in MacOS Mojave and Catalina due to lack of Nvidia drivers.

If you want to run a newer version of MacOS, e.g. El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra, then you will need to download the MacOS installer from Apple and make a bootable USB installer for use on your machine.

Do you want to upgrade to El Capitan or another version say Sierra or High Sierra?

For El Capitan 10.11.6 the installer is available from :

Scroll down to 4 and you will see the download link. Download it and double click to run it. It should generate the El Capitan installer in your Applications folder after completion.

I would also recommend you use a second disk to install a newer MacOS and disconnect the Mavericks disk and keep your Mavericks installation intact before starting installation. That way if the installer fails for some reason you can still revert back to your Mavericks installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back