Contribute
Register

Looking for guides on getting sleep to work.

Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
698
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD5 - 18G 1600Mhz DDR3 OSX-10.10
CPU
980x
Graphics
Radeon r9 290x + ATi 6850
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
I have:
GA-EX58-EXTREME
i7 950 @4Ghz
1333 RAM@1200Mhz
OSX 10.6.2

I have as yet been unable to get sleep working.

Anyone know any good resources for troubleshooting this area?

Thanks for the new forum Tony.

Rabbit
 

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
8,486
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
Core i3-7100
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Apple, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
rabbit74 said:
I have:
GA-EX58-EXTREME
i7 950 @4Ghz
1333 RAM@1200Mhz
OSX 10.6.2

I have as yet been unable to get sleep working.

Anyone know any good resources for troubleshooting this area?

Thanks for the new forum Tony.

Rabbit
You can try the sleep DSDT fixes from my blog- they should be similar for your board. Good luck!

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
123
Motherboard
10.13.2
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX 1060
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Be carefull with sleep mode!

Put the screen in to sleep it's good for the monitor.

But if you want to put the hard disk(s) to sleep .

From my personal experience it's not a good thing even on real Mac, :( can freeze your disk and loss data)
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
14
Motherboard
"Mac Pro (Early 2008)"
CPU
2.93Ghz Core i7
Graphics
GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
ER800 said:
From my personal experience it's not a good thing even on real Mac, :( can freeze your disk and loss data)
For what it's worth - I have never seen a Mac lose data after being put to sleep. I would have to say there would most likely be another factor that caused the data to be lost.
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
21
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I agree with bradrel, there should be no issues with sleeping your machine. Data loss is almost impossible with sleep, unless the machine totally freezes instead of sleeping and requires hard reset. Even then your mac is using a journaled disk, which prevents this sort of data loss from occuring. I would not hesitate getting sleep working on your machine. It saves power and makes the machine totally silent while sleeping. In my case it takes about 2 seconds from hitting a key on my keyboard until desktop is back up with net. Apple makes OS X handle sleep really well since most macs are macbooks these days.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html
Is the guide I following and it worked perfectly. UD2 v1 F5 in my case.
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
123
Motherboard
10.13.2
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX 1060
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
bradrel said:
ER800 said:
From my personal experience it's not a good thing even on real Mac, :( can freeze your disk and loss data)
For what it's worth - I have never seen a Mac lose data after being put to sleep. I would have to say there would most likely be another factor that caused the data to be lost.

Sorry my bad! The information that I had was for a PowerPc (old school) oups!

So I did the tutorial for sleep and since I have the same motherboard as Tony. I took is DSDT but now after 5 10 minutes my main monitor turns black and stays like that.Have to restart each time lol any idea??????
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
21
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
ER800 said:
So I did the tutorial for sleep and since I have the same motherboard as Tony. I took is DSDT but now after 5 10 minutes my main monitor turns black and stays like that.Have to restart each time lol any idea??????
2 ideas:

Make sure you have S3 selected for ACPI suspend in your bios as shown in this guide:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... etail.html

Remember optimized defaults, AHCI, S3 suspend mode.

My other idea is more general troubleshooting tip. You seem to have your settings to sleep after 10 minutes, change the setting to never in your energy saver preferences. Then make sure the only thing plugged into your pc is keyboard/mouse (Do not use the usb ports next to the Purple/Green ps/2 style plug) Then manually sleep (Apple menu)
See what the power led does on your case. Usually in S3 it goes completely off, but sometimes it does a slow flashing. (In my case S1 does a flashing, S3 is off)

Hopefully at this point your system is in S3 suspend mode. To wake, press any key on your keyboard.

I can help troubleshoot, but you need to read the sleep guide carefully and make sure your bios settings are correct.

Also give more details in your next post. It helps to know all your settings.
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
123
Motherboard
10.13.2
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX 1060
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Gregord!
Thank you for your help! :)

is my specs:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Snow 10.6.2 retail
Core I5
GA-P55M-UD2: V1.0
Bios version: F4
Graphic card: 9400 GT 1 MB with 2 screens
4 GB
2 HD

Keyboard usb apple + logitheque mouse wireless

My FOLDER EXTRA:
Extra/
com.apple.Boot.plist
Extensions.bak.mkext
Extensions.mkext
smbios.plist

Extra/Extensions
EvOreboot.kext
fakesmc.kext
JMicronATA.kext
LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I did as you say and even follow the guide again!

1- My screen dont go black anymore so far LOL that GOOD!

2- My HD icone change for a better look :)

3- If I go to sleep with timer set in the preference panel set like the guide only my screen sleep

4- I go to Apple menu and press Sleep my computer sleep like a baby :) lol
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
21
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
ER800 said:
Hi Gregord!
Thank you for your help! :)
Hi ER800. You are very welcome.
4- I go to Apple menu and press Sleep my computer sleep like a baby :) lol
Not sure what your emoticon and lol indicated here. You said computer sleeps like a baby. Good. What I am curious is does it wake up like a baby crying in the middle of the night? ;) (does it resume from sleep when you hit a key, and computer behave normally?)
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
123
Motherboard
10.13.2
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX 1060
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
gregord said:
ER800 said:
Hi Gregord!
Thank you for your help! :)
Hi ER800. You are very welcome.
4- I go to Apple menu and press Sleep my computer sleep like a baby :) lol
Not sure what your emoticon and lol indicated here. You said computer sleeps like a baby. Good. What I am curious is does it wake up like a baby crying in the middle of the night? ;) (does it resume from sleep when you hit a key, and computer behave normally?)
Only happy to progress! :)

OK! wake up from the start button and everything is there, like before the sleep lol

but mouse and keyboard no effect.
 
Top