Contribute
Register

Looking for fanless GeForce GTX Card - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
Intel > Need full model number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,
can someone please recommend a fanless PCIe GeForce card?
Would be great to know that it's works OOTB before I buy one..

Example:
Palit GeForce GTX 1050Ti KalmX 4GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/DP (passive)

You can find my built in the signature.. (Z170X-UD5-TH)

BTW I don't need super high performance. Just wanna move away from internal Intel graphics because I experience some glitches in Ableton Live...

Thanks for you help!

The 1050ti works great in macOS with the web drivers. I have two different ones on my smaller machines for general use. Why passive BTW?

Oh and no Nvidia card works out of the the box without the drivers.

Hey guys,
can someone please recommend a fanless PCIe GeForce card?
Would be great to know that it's works OOTB before I buy one..

Example:
Palit GeForce GTX 1050Ti KalmX 4GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/DP (passive)

You can find my built in the signature.. (Z170X-UD5-TH)

BTW I don't need super high performance. Just wanna move away from internal Intel graphics because I experience some glitches in Ableton Live...

Thanks for you help!

Oh yeah i even forgot there are drivers :) But you just install them and you're good to go right? No extra files to patch or edit?
And should I go for a certain manufacturer for compatibility reasons? I'm running Sierra 10.12.2...

Passive because I need it to be as quiet as possible. I'm doing music production and mixing ;)

The 1050ti works great in macOS with the web drivers. I have two different ones on my smaller machines for general use. Why passive BTW?

Oh and no Nvidia card works out of the the box without the drivers.

No patches just the correct driver. I personally haven';t tried a lot of brands but know for a fact Gigabyte works very well. I think there are some brands the misbehave but for the most part the chipsets are the same. The third parties mainly customize clock speeds and cooling.

I've tried the base gigabyte 1050ti and the higher-clocked versions with two fans. Speed difference but no difference in drivers. I have a 1080 xTreme in my learning box till I build a new one with Titan Xp.

Oh yeah i even forgot there are drivers :) But you just install them and you're good to go right? No extra files to patch or edit?
And should I go for a certain manufacturer for compatibility reasons? I'm running Sierra 10.12.2...

Passive because I need it to be as quiet as possible. I'm doing music production and mixing ;)

Do you realise that modern GPU cards that do have fans, only actually have the fans spin up once they reach 60/65 degrees Centigrade - which will only happen under full load.

In order to use a GTX 10** card, update to 10.12.4 at least. 10.12.4 is the earliest version of macOS to have support for the cards that you are looking at. You Must update Clover before you update for your build to boot!
Read over the first 3 posts in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-12-4-update.217169/

Do you realise that modern GPU cards that do have fans, only actually have the fans spin up once they reach 60/65 degrees Centigrade - which will only happen under full load.
It depends, doesn't it? I had a low profile GTX 1050 and the fans were spinning all the time.

In order to use a GTX 10** card, update to 10.12.4 at least. 10.12.4 is the earliest version of macOS to have support for the cards that you are looking at. You Must update Clover before you update for your build to boot!
Read over the first 3 posts in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-12-4-update.217169/

Thanks so much for the info about the OS update. Will definitely check that before installing a graphics-card. Since I really don't need any performance out of it, I might just stick to the fanless / passive idea.

BTW the only reason I started thinking about getting a gfx card is because I get glitches in Ableton Live (only fullscreen mode)..

Thanks so much for the info about the OS update. Will definitely check that before installing a graphics-card. Since I really don't need any performance out of it, I might just stick to the fanless / passive idea.

BTW the only reason I started thinking about getting a gfx card is because I get glitches in Ableton Live (only fullscreen mode)..
You could go with the GT 710 fanless card if you don't need much more performance than the integrated. These will work OOB.
EVGA is a good brand to go with. PNY also makes very good cards.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487220&cm_re=GT710-_-14-487-220-_-Product

The MSI fanless version will work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back