2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a USB boot drive that I want the boot loader & it's containing partition to be cloned. I need it cloned exactly so I have a back up. I'm at strike 4 or 5 by now trying both CC Cloner and Super Duper.

I do not know enough about carbon copy cloner and super duper cloner to get them to work, (even if they can do this?). I have tried both and neither work as they do not clone the boot partition. The target drive is un-bootable.

Can I get any advice on how to do this either by an app preferably or by the terminal on OS X? I'm not very code friendly so an app would be better.

Thank You, Nick/Mister Photon

Given 2 drives of the same size you can use Disk Utility to create an image of your working drive and then restore this image to the clone drive.
Another way is to boot a LiveDVD of a Linux distribution (or internal if you are dual booting) and use terminal.
First open terminal and run list disk to determine your drive names in Linux. Say your original is dev/sda and your clone is /dev/sdb then you could type
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

Just be aware that anything on /dev/sdb will be destroyed and if you get the drives backwards it is entirely possible you might copy your clone drive contents onto your working drive, so be very careful if you do it this way.

In addition to the advice that Going Bald has provided, there are other options.

One is the Clonezilla which is a bootable LINUX CD. The UI is old school text screens but does a good job of drive cloning. Goodle for it.

Then there are hardware solutions that do true cloning with a press of a button. To use these solutions you need to have the source and target drives bare and install them into the correct slots of the hub. I own the Cavalry Retriever; see Newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3X52592453&cm_re=cavalry-_-9SIA3X52592453-_-Product This thing works with any combination of 2.5 and 3.5 inch hard drives and SSDs.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back