3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been out of the hackintosh or pc building world for quite a few years and just realized after ordering all my parts to do a new build that my current ASUS monitor may not be compatible with my build. Is there a recommendation for HDMI vs Displayport vs DVI when building a hackintosh? The board I have coming soon is the ASUS Prime Z490-A and I was able to find a Radeon RX 580. The motherboard does not support DVI and that is what my old monitor has. It appears that the RX 580 has a DVI port but it will be a couple weeks before that arrives. Should I be searching for a newer HDMI or DisplayPort capable monitor and which is the current recommended connection? (Eventually I will be buying a new one, just wondering if I need to pull the trigger right away and which route is most compatible.) Thanks!

I've been out of the hackintosh or pc building world for quite a few years and just realized after ordering all my parts to do a new build that my current ASUS monitor may not be compatible with my build. Is there a recommendation for HDMI vs Displayport vs DVI when building a hackintosh? The board I have coming soon is the ASUS Prime Z490-A and I was able to find a Radeon RX 580. The motherboard does not support DVI and that is what my old monitor has. It appears that the RX 580 has a DVI port but it will be a couple weeks before that arrives. Should I be searching for a newer HDMI or DisplayPort capable monitor and which is the current recommended connection? (Eventually I will be buying a new one, just wondering if I need to pull the trigger right away and which route is most compatible.) Thanks!
I would strongly suggest using DisplayPort myself based on my limited experience.

If your monitor only has an available DVI input, then you may be able to use a DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter to connect your future RX 580's DP port to your monitor's DVI port. I use a DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter myself on my second system to connect the RX 580 to the VGA port on my monitor (an old Eizo EV2436).

Can you wait until the RX 580 arrives or do you want to start now (using CPU integrated graphics presumably)?

Last edited:
I wanted to get started today or tomorrow using the integrated graphics to at least get things rolling so I will look into the adapter or it appears I can try HDMI. After closer inspection, I do have an HDMI port on my ASUS VS238H-P. I mistakenly looked at my other monitor at work (which is VGA and DVI) thinking I bought 2 of the same and realized my home monitor is different.

It appears I'm a little outdated with 50,000,000:1 and 2ms and should probably upgrade anyway at some point. I will search for new one with a DisplayPort. I just hate to spend all this dough on a new system and then have my monitor bottleneck and keep me from enjoying the updated system! I'm making a pretty big upgrade if you look at what I'm currently on... Thanks!

The reason I was concerned was because I read this on OWC's site about the rx580:
"Audio output through HDMI or DisplayPort will not work in a Mac. For PC, use HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort for best audio quality." I'm assuming this is only if you use the card in actual MacPro and not in a hack?

I wanted to get started today or tomorrow using the integrated graphics to at least get things rolling so I will look into the adapter or it appears I can try HDMI. After closer inspection, I do have an HDMI port on my ASUS VS238H-P. I mistakenly looked at my other monitor at work (which is VGA and DVI) thinking I bought 2 of the same and realized my home monitor is different.

It appears I'm a little outdated with 50,000,000:1 and 2ms and should probably upgrade anyway at some point. I will search for new one with a DisplayPort. I just hate to spend all this dough on a new system and then have my monitor bottleneck and keep me from enjoying the updated system! I'm making a pretty big upgrade if you look at what I'm currently on... Thanks!

The reason I was concerned was because I read this on OWC's site about the rx580:
"Audio output through HDMI or DisplayPort will not work in a Mac. For PC, use HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort for best audio quality." I'm assuming this is only if you use the card in actual MacPro and not in a hack?
Personally I use the audio from the motherboard and not from the DisplayPort / HDMI ports on the graphics card. So I have no idea if DisplayPort / HDMI audio can work on a hackintosh. I believe it can be made to work but you have to search for ideas if you want to go down this route.

Personally I use the audio from the motherboard and not from the DisplayPort / HDMI ports on the graphics card. So I have no idea if DisplayPort / HDMI audio can work on a hackintosh. I believe it can be made to work but you have to search for ideas if you want to go down this route.
Now that you mention it, I won't be using the audio from monitor either and will have external speakers connected to the motherboard. I think I was just a little over concerned because audio was my biggest issue on my last hack, I lost it and was never able to get it back. Thanks again for your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back