Graphics
Zotec GT520
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Three graphics cards won't work in my box. Could someone recommend a zero config graphics card for Mountain Lion? The GPU and the brand. Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte 6850
*Duckweed
Gigabyte 6870

AMD 6870 cards are not 'zero configuration' cards in Mountain Lion. There are a couple of small steps one must take to install Mountain Lion on a box with a 6870. So far people are having good luck with NVIDIA cards and it appears Apple is moving towards better compatibility with NVIDIA over AMD. I have a XFX 6870 that works just fine in Mountain Lion but as I said, there are hoops to jump through on installation. If I were to buy a card today I would go with a GTX 670.

Graphics - 6870 vs.....

Just stumbled across your post. Good to know about the 6870 for ML! Is it preferable to have a graphics card that works OOB, or is the performance of 6870 with configuration just as good? I was looking at the 6870 for my build as well as I think it's a decent card/value. The GTX 670 is a bit above my budget. Is there another one you would recommend that's similar to the 6870 price range? (for casual gaming/video editing). I feel like anything OOB would give me better long-term compatibility.

Many thanks,

-Fussie

Nvidia 5xx have native support in ML, you could look for a 560 (Ti) or, if you want to spend more, a GTX 570.

Thanks for the tip vis! The 570 looks a bit out of my price range but 560 Ti looks good. I read somewhere that the 560 Ti 448 is supposedly better but also costs a lot more. Is there any specific brand for the 560 Ti that's best or recommended? Had a quick look and this one sounded good -[h=1]Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti "Phantom" Graphics card - 2 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM[/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back