Contribute
Register

Looking at buying new machine for Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh ok.

yeah, right now i'm looking at what mboard to pick.

does RAM make a difference?

Newbie said:
oh ok.

Yes, you want very fast RAM, specifically if you want to overclock. Most of the time you just want 4 GB, double channel, or 8 GB of the same

Tom

tinkerC said:
Newbie said:
oh ok.

Yes, you want very fast RAM, specifically if you want to overclock. Most of the time you just want 4 GB, double channel, or 8 GB of the same

Tom

Unless you mean a difference in compatibility.
Then, no not really. Just don't go for crazy speeds like 2200MHz or 2000MHz - because (1) they're too expensive and (2) there's not enough people confirming that they work in OS X, 1333 and 1600 are fine.

jimx86 said:
tinkerC said:
Newbie said:
oh ok.

Tom

Then, no not really. Just don't go for crazy speeds like 2200MHz or 2000MHz - because (1) they're too expensive and (2) there's not enough people confirming that they work in OS X, 1333 and 1600 are fine.

Sorry, I didn't realize that is what very fast meant. I thought 1600 was very fast :D

Tom

tinkerC said:
Sorry, I didn't realize that is what very fast meant. I thought 1600 was very fast :D

Tom

Haha no worries, 1600 is sort of fast, but it's approaching "average" speeds for today's DDR3 computers.

jimx86 said:
tinkerC said:

Tom

Haha no worries, 1600 is sort of fast, but it's approaching "average" speeds for today's DDR3 computers.

Ok. Well, I have a collection of 5 y/o computers, what do you expect!

Tom

tinkerC said:

Tom

Don't worry, I just recently came out of DDR RAM! I completely jumped DDR3 DDR2 in my desktop PCs.

jimx86 said:
tinkerC said:

Tom

Don't worry, I just recently came out of DDR RAM! I completely jumped DDR3 in my desktop PCs.

And I never used DDR2.

Why is the jump so common?

Tom

tinkerC said:
And I never used DDR2.

Why is the jump so common?

Tom

I don't know.. guess DDR2 didn't get cheap enough for end users until 2006. That means it only lasted 3 years.

jimx86 said:
tinkerC said:
Newbie said:
oh ok.

Tom

thanks. yah, i was wondering for compatibility reasons. not concerned with speed at all. so what RAM would be best?

i'm still looking for a few motherboards that are guaranteed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back