Contribute
Register

Long Boot Times in High Sierra (2 min +)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a different version of apfs.efi on USB ?
Hi. No, it's the same.

But I got it now....
I activated the verbose mode (that I didn't come to this idea before ...) and I saw:
Begin Gfx firmware load process

Hash data from me never returned , status = 1, doing retry #1
and now it counts high

So -disablegfxfirmware did the trick.

I have a 970 Pro NVMe.

Boot time is slower than it used to when I had another AHCI M.2 device (of course with Trim enabled)

Should I disable TRIM in config.plist for High Sierra 10.13.6? If I disable TRIM in config.plist, it says TRIM ENABLED: NO (In system information).

I want to stay with APFS and not HFS+

The root cause is APFS does TRIM all the free space while booting.
That might take some time for some third party disks.
SSD needs implementing "background TRIMing" to make things done fast.
And I know some SSD simply doing FAKE TRIMMING if it cannot finish the task within a time period.
There's no data integrity issue for this kind of faking.

Basically I think this is a bad design of Apple. Considering you have a big SSD (say 4TB), even a SSD faking all the TRIM command, it might take quite a while for tons of requests go back and forth.

It seems the only solution to this is to switch to either a "background TRIMMING" SSD, or using "fake trimming" SSD. You cannot tell......

Drive A: Original macOS HS with insanely long boot times (5 mins or so)
Drive B: Carbon Copy clone of Drive A - no more boot issues!

I am not sure what the hell changed but now I can boot macOS HS with no issues with boot times. I tried copying Drive B back to Drive A and there were no issues!

Drive A: Carbon Copy clone of Drive B - no more boot issues!
Drive B: Carbon Copy clone of Drive A - no more boot issues!

Just to make sure @djcrunkmix TRIM Support is enabled on both Drive A and Drive B? (in System Information > Hardware ?

macOS Mojave fixed this.

If this is accurate, it's stupid they didn't backport the fix. Anyone know what the relevant kexts are, and if copying them from Mojave+ to High Sierra might work? I'm stuck on HS with nVidia for the foreseeable future.

Is there still no fix or workaround for this?
Are the options really just APFS without TRIM, or HFS+J with TRIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back