Contribute
Register

Long Boot Times in High Sierra (2 min +)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was having the same problem. Slow boot with "failed to finish all transactions in sync()".

I turned off TRIM using sudo trimforce disable

It sped up boot. However, I'd really rather have TRIM than quicker boot times.

Other than the slow boot, nothing seems to be wrong with it, so keeping TRIM enabled should be okay right?

Last edited:
Well known problem...
TRIM + APFS + certain non-Apple SSD is known to cause delays at boot.
And with NVMe, TRIM is always enabled.
I dont't think it's related to non-Apple SSD. I have made a fresh install 10.13.4 on a Corsair SSD, enabled TRIM (trim force enable) and everything was working well, even after multiple restarts. However, after installing 10.13.5 beta 1, I got two apfs_vfsop_sync:2928: failed to finish all transactions in sync()! (err 16) messages.
I think it might be related to Preboot or other additional APFS Volumes not being properly updated during install.
I have tried diskutil apfs updatePreboot and even diskutil apfs eraseVolume, but with no luck.
Any other ideas?

I dont't think it's related to non-Apple SSD. I have made a fresh install 10.13.4 on a Corsair SSD, enabled TRIM (trim force enable) and everything was working well, even after multiple restarts. However, after installing 10.13.5 beta 1, I got two apfs_vfsop_sync:2928: failed to finish all transactions in sync()! (err 16) messages.
I think it might be related to Preboot or other additional APFS Volumes not being properly updated during install.
I have tried diskutil apfs updatePreboot and even diskutil apfs eraseVolume, but with no luck.
Any other ideas?
APFS now seems to log how long its TRIM at boot is taking
Code:
log show --predicate "message contains 'trim_free_blocks'" --style compact
On a 240GB container i'm seeing
2018-04-05 18:29:03.098 Df kernel[0:16a] (apfs) spaceman_trim_free_blocks:3009: scan took 19.055652 s, trims took 3.197297 s
Seems to be getting worse, on earlier versions i was timing ~10 seconds difference between TRIM on and off but that may not be the whole picture. Maybe larger partitions its taking longer too.

Okay guys, so I had this slow boot problem as well.
Resolved by replacing the old 960PRO(1TB) with the new 970PRO(1TB), with exactly the same clover configs.
The boot time has backed to normal: 1min30sec --> 10sec.

Hope this helps. :)

After so long, I was able to fix this issue. Here is what I did:

You'll need an extra SSD that is the same size or larger. In my case, I have two 1TB 960 Pro on two NVME slots on my Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z370 motherboard.

Drive A: Original macOS HS with insanely long boot times (5 mins or so)
Drive B: Currently empty

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my entire OS on the other drive. Copy the EFI folder as well. Now we have,

Drive A: Original macOS HS with insanely long boot times (5 mins or so)
Drive B: Carbon Copy clone of Drive A - no more boot issues!

I am not sure what the hell changed but now I can boot macOS HS with no issues with boot times. I tried copying Drive B back to Drive A and there were no issues!

Drive A: Carbon Copy clone of Drive B - no more boot issues!
Drive B: Carbon Copy clone of Drive A - no more boot issues!

Lol, above Drives are paradoxical twins ;-)

same long boot time over 2min, after changing tye grafix card from nvidia 710 to 210...

IMG_3493.PNG

this is the screenshot with -v command...
using normal hdd with HFS+J

So what is the solution now?
My rig works realy fine when it's booted.
But the boot time takes about 3 minutes.
It's a NVME Samsung 960 evo with 256 gb.
I tried APFS as well HFS+J (currently) but no luck.
Also I tried a WD green Sata M.2 with the same result... no more ideas.

When I am using clover from my USB stick to start High Sierre, the boot time is normal. So it must be something with the kext or not?

So what is the solution now?
When I am using clover from my USB stick to start High Sierre, the boot time is normal. So it must be something with the kext or not?

Do you have a different version of apfs.efi on USB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back