Contribute
Register

Long Boot Times in High Sierra (2 min +)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it should be possible to force-disable TRIM with a kernel or kext patch if that is indeed the culprit. Thoughts?

Seems like it should be possible to force-disable TRIM with a kernel or kext patch if that is indeed the culprit. Thoughts?

In theory, yes. I know of no such patch having been created.

@RehabMan Thanks for chiming in.

I have never reinstalled an entire hackintosh system - what is a good procedure to reinstall HS on a different file format (HFS+)?

Is it as simple as backing up the entire system on Time Machine and then reinstalling a fresh copy of HS, followed by a restore?

@djcrunkmix, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

@djcrunkmix, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
Thanks, updated. My system is pretty standard - Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5, i7-8700k and nVidia 1060 running High Sierra 10.13.2

Well known problem...

TRIM + APFS + certain non-Apple SSD is known to cause delays at boot.
And with NVMe, TRIM is always enabled.

The solution is to install to HFS+J instead of APFS.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/

Is the issue only with boot time? Or are there other issues to be aware of?
I have this issue with my Samsung 960 NVME and while annoying, not the end of the world. I'd like it to boot faster, but I like the idea of APFS. I haven't seen anything else in the logs that seem to indicate a problem with APFS, so I'm wondering whether there are any other reasons to move back to HFS. It seems like I could do it without much trouble using SuperDuper.

The other reason I ask is because I do still have some times where the Notification Center pops up and things just go a little wacky for a minute. So far I'm chalking this up to the Nvidia drivers, even though I'm on .104, but was wondering if APFS could cause any strange things. I mostly notice the strange behavior when copying text between my system and the Windows VM I run with VMware Fusion.

Thanks,
Mike

I was having the same issue but my hackintosh booted fine during 7 days. What i did was to

1 - remove the boot disk < SSD adata> from my hackintosh
2 - Connect the disk into the my laptop
3 - Mount the the EFI partition from the disk of my hackintosh
4 - Disable TRIM using clover and save the changes
5 - Connect the disck back

This fix the problem

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 688
I was having the same issue but my hackintosh booted fine during 7 days. What i did was to

1 - remove the boot disk < SSD adata> from my hackintosh
2 - Connect the disk into the my laptop
3 - Mount the the EFI partition from the disk of my hackintosh
4 - Disable TRIM using clover and save the changes
5 - Connect the disck back

This fix the problem

Like Rehabman wrote, It happens because of TRIM is enabled.

The problem the others are having is that with NVMe SSD's, you cannot disable trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back