Contribute
Register

Logitech MX Master Mouse turns system on, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (F22g)
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Hi Folks. I'm running the latest Beta of Sierra 10.12.3 beta 4 on my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH based system but have experienced the same issue with earlier builds since I got the Logitech MX Master mouse a few weeks back. When I issue the shutdown command via the Apple Icon pulldown and the system powers off any interaction with the MX Master mouse that occurs powers the system back up. I've looked at my BIOS setting and can't seem to find a setting enabled that would be responsible for this. The MX Master's Unifying receiver is connected to a rear panel USB 2.0 port. I'm running the F5 BIOS here on the motherboard. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is and what I need to disable to defeat it? Appreciate it!

Hi Folks. I'm running the latest Beta of Sierra 10.12.3 beta 4 on my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH based system but have experienced the same issue with earlier builds since I got the Logitech MX Master mouse a few weeks back. When I issue the shutdown command via the Apple Icon pulldown and the system powers off any interaction with the MX Master mouse that occurs powers the system back up. I've looked at my BIOS setting and can't seem to find a setting enabled that would be responsible for this. The MX Master's Unifying receiver is connected to a rear panel USB 2.0 port. I'm running the F5 BIOS here on the motherboard. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is and what I need to disable to defeat it? Appreciate it!
Do you have anything for power on from USB event along with the PCIe event and network event? These are under the Advanced tab in an Asus UEFI.

Do you have anything for power on from USB event along with the PCIe event and network event? These are under the Advanced tab in an Asus UEFI.

Thanks for the reply and not that I'm aware of since I don't see any of those equivalent settings in the Gigabyte BIOS here.

Update: I've still not found any BIOS setting that would explain this situation. With my system powered off as well as the Master mouse I can turn the MX Master mouse on and my system will cold boot. Strange. I've also noticed after a shutdown if insert a USB stick the system will power back on. I'm ready to call an Exorcist. :)

Does this behavior occur with any other mouse connected instead of the Logitech?

Have you checked BIOS setting under Power Management - > Power On By Mouse = Disabled?
If this is set to Move touching your mouse will power up the system.

Not sure what would cause it when inserting a USB.

Last edited:
I don't recall experiencing this issue until I started using the MX Master mouse. Prior to that, I was using a Kensington Slim Blade Trackball. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find my old USB mouse for testing it.

Update: Finally found my USB based wired mouse. Connected it to an external USB port to test. After shutting down the system if I click it's left button it too turns the system back on. It gets even stranger..... If after it powers the system up I hold down the case's power button for 3 seconds or so to force the system shutdown, neither mouse can at that point will reactivate/turn on the system. So that seems to indicate to me that the system is somehow in standby mode?

I have 2 systems and both do the same, weather I plug in an usb, move the mouse or type a key, systems will turn on.
I think it has to do with GA boards.

Thanks for the reply Movilegodson! What's strange is if you force the power down (holding the power button in for 3 seconds) that causes that behavior to stop, at least it does here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back