Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

im a total no0b at hackintosh, but have been peeking around forums and videos and think I have built up enough courage to dive into hack land.

Looking to build a beast computer to run many many native plugins, virtual synths like serum, and NI massive and hoards of kontakt sampled instruments, im a composer and sometimes need to score to picture. I'm talking 200-300 tracks. will also use adobe after effects to export those music visualizer videos on youtube, so i'll need a decent graphics card. and i will be using an LG oled c7 as my monitor (overkill i know lol)

I need something that has thunderbolt 2 to take my universal audio twin audio interface. (would be open to thunderbolt 3 as well to futureproof if thats even a possibility)

I was reading something about open CL and that logic runs more efficiently with that (although im not sure what that is entirely). My budget is about $1800 although i may be able to go a little higher. my question is has anyone done this? and what are YOUR system recommendations. need to run OS sierra or High Sierra

My current system is a early 2013 macbook pro 2.8ghz quad i7, 512SSD, 16gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB. Its effective but towards the end, i have to start consolidating and printing to manage the larger projects.

Thank You

Hi guys!

im a total no0b at hackintosh, but have been peeking around forums and videos and think I have built up enough courage to dive into hack land.

Looking to build a beast computer to run many many native plugins, virtual synths like serum, and NI massive and hoards of kontakt sampled instruments, im a composer and sometimes need to score to picture. I'm talking 200-300 tracks. will also use adobe after effects to export those music visualizer videos on youtube, so i'll need a decent graphics card. and i will be using an LG oled c7 as my monitor (overkill i know lol)

I need something that has thunderbolt 2 to take my universal audio twin audio interface. (would be open to thunderbolt 3 as well to futureproof if thats even a possibility)

I was reading something about open CL and that logic runs more efficiently with that (although im not sure what that is entirely). My budget is about $1800 although i may be able to go a little higher. my question is has anyone done this? and what are YOUR system recommendations. need to run OS sierra or High Sierra

My current system is a early 2013 macbook pro 2.8ghz quad i7, 512SSD, 16gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB. Its effective but towards the end, i have to start consolidating and printing to manage the larger projects.

Thank You

Hi AJ afterparty,

I am in the same boat as you are. Currently running Logic Pro X on a MPB retina 16 GB. Also scoring to picture.
I wanna build a Hackintosch with enough Ram Memory (128 GB and upgradeablny replies e to more). A big internal Hard Disk Storage space (4 GB or more) A decent videocard etc.

I see you have not received any replies yet. I am wondering, do you have more info?

Regards,

Radius

Hi AJ afterparty,

I am in the same boat as you are. Currently running Logic Pro X on a MPB retina 16 GB. Also scoring to picture.
I wanna build a Hackintosch with enough Ram Memory (128 GB and upgradeablny replies e to more). A big internal Hard Disk Storage space (4 GB or more) A decent videocard etc.

I see you have not received any replies yet. I am wondering, do you have more info?

Regards,

Radius

Hey man, been doing some digging. I’ve read that 32 gb of ram is really more than enough for audio production... I think I’ll start out with that... maybe add more ram later if I need it. Also, I am gonna go with the new coffee lake 6 core chip, and a 370 mobo to accommodate it. I’m just gonna wait until there is a little more support for it on this site. Other than that, still looking. I think it’s better to post more specific questions here, instead of a whole system build which is what I’ll do when I’m closer to diving in.

AJ - I just built a Z370 Coffee Lake... It works great... except for some weird crashes in FCPX which is the main app for me and this machine... But I also do music... Have just installed and done some very minor things in Logic Pro X so far, so cannot say much about that yet... but seems to work fine, but haven't pushed it in any way.

But, I think you are absolutely right, after 32gb of ram, you'll probably see very small improvements... (I'm on 16gb still, but will upgrade to 32gb as soon as I can afford it). I think it's much better to get SSDs or ever NVMe drives for samples...

Hoping to get an Apollo interface eventually as well... so need to fugure out Thunderbolt at some point...

I am a long time Logic user and been looking to replace my 5.12010 8 core Mac Pro with a hackintosh for some time, while I think the Coffee lake CPUs will double my geekbench multi core power, Logic works by each channel being assigned to a single core , so loosing two cores concern me. Also the new iMac Pro uses multi core Xeon chips as a dedicated media editing machine, I’m wondering if those CPU’s might be a better build for a Logic users Hackintosh. I suppose we will have to wait & see if anyone more experienced build ones now the iMac Pro is out.

Main worry for me is of course stability. Most people on here aren't specifically doing audio, and therefore probably aren't using external audio interfaces (mine is a Focusrite 18i20). Would be a real waste of money if i couldn't get that running for example.
Keep in mind there are compatibility issues with both Logic 9/Logic X and Focusrite 18i20; you will only be able to use 44.1 sample rate, it automatically returns to 44.1 when it is set to other rates.
The Focusrite 18i20, which I have, has been through WWlll, but I can only record one track at a time, which kind da defeats it's 18/20 purpose

AJ - I just built a Z370 Coffee Lake... It works great... except for some weird crashes in FCPX which is the main app for me and this machine... But I also do music... Have just installed and done some very minor things in Logic Pro X so far, so cannot say much about that yet... but seems to work fine, but haven't pushed it in any way.

But, I think you are absolutely right, after 32gb of ram, you'll probably see very small improvements... (I'm on 16gb still, but will upgrade to 32gb as soon as I can afford it). I think it's much better to get SSDs or ever NVMe drives for samples...

Hoping to get an Apollo interface eventually as well... so need to fugure out Thunderbolt at some point...
Can You please indicate Your step by step resources what You used to build for Z370 and 8700K? Thanks!

Thats great man! whenever you get a moment try doing a massive logic session. Curious how it will hold up ;) have you figured out the FCP crashes? thats the only thing im worried about with hackintosh... I dont want to look bad in front of clients and have the computer crash during a client session.

Can You please indicate Your step by step resources what You used to build for Z370 and 8700K? Thanks!
Unfortunately not... I followed a guide at another site (think it's against forum rules to link to it)... got the same main components as him (CPU, motherboard etc) as I thought that should make it easy... couldn't get macOS High Sierra to install... used UniBeast from here, then it installed... but wouldn't start... then I managed to to a copy of the drive (with Sierra) from my MacBook Pro and then I could start from that so I could modify the EFI with suggestions from the other site and then it worked! But then I ran MultiBeast from here and then it stopped working... so then I managed to get back the EFI I used previously and then it worked again... So it was quite a ride! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back