Contribute
Register

Logic Pro machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I edited this piece in the previous post. Pro Tools is actually rather great, but the recent problems we've faced with iLok and not being able to use our software properly has put us behind to the point that I've been working 12h a day for the last 2 weeks. And I'm only just catching up.

So when iLok doesn't screw things up, Pro Tools performs brilliantly. Although Logic usually sounds just as good as Pro Tools and is simpler for home projects, so I prefer the software without iLok.
So apart from Logic, Mainstage and Sibelius, there's really no more software I need at home.

Logic is great for music creation and can be used for commercial music production as well. Being able to be a ProTools op to allow you to make your own music is a lot better than getting a regular day job. And it is the standard for commercial music production. That said, pretty much all the music with which we deal is written and arranged in Logic though a couple of the old guys still use DP. You've got a full suite of world class tools to make music. ProTools is just so you won't have to become a shop assistant or wait tables between gigs.

We don't run into too many iLok issues and haven't in some time and we are very large scale. Have you been to the DUC to see about troubleshooting your iLok issue? That much downtime isn't right. Something else is wrong as that shouldn't be a recurring issue. As for the sound of the different DAW engines I wouldn't be too concerned as long as they all sound good. It's going to sound great in the room then whomever masters it is going to turn the waveform into a paint stripe and when it gets distributed it's going to be smashed down to an MP3 so if it sounds good there, it's good.

As for Logic and Mavericks, Logic will work the first day Mavericks is publicly available. Apple is good like that.

We don't run into too many iLok issues and haven't in some time and we are very large scale. Have you been to the DUC to see about troubleshooting your iLok issue? That much downtime isn't right. Something else is wrong as that shouldn't be a recurring issue.
The main problem is that it took a few days to get a replacement for the iLok.
It started acting out a while ago, but always got it working after 15min or so. One late afternoon around 2 weeks ago, it failed completely and we asked for support. After trying a whole bunch of software suggestions, the computer guys here decided it was a problem with the iLok itself. It has been replaced and the issues are gone for now.
Meanwhile, we rescheduled some in-house work, so we could still have the room available for projects using other programs, but in the end we still need to get that one big pro tools job done before the deadline. Should give me some easier days next week, though.
And well, the iLok website says they're getting a lot of support requests these days, so I'm sure it wasn't just us.

But this really isn't what I'm here for ;)

@Adrian: I just asked it during my coffee break. Seems like the tech guys here also say the extra €20,- for a WD Black is worth it (we use the enterprise series of WD in our raid). Guess I'll be getting the black then. :thumbup:

Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back