Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

Like everyone here, I'd like to build a hackintosh. I currently have an iMac and a Macbook Air. The iMac is '08 and needs to be replaced. A new Mac's pricetag is a bit too steep for my budget - just spent a lot on a new bass, tube amp and cabinet. Thought the iMac would keep up a bit longer, but it starts to feel slow. :banghead:

So my bf recommended this community. He built one too and says it saved him about €1000,- on a €2800,- iMac equivalent. :mrgreen: The timeframe I had in mind is with the release of Mavericks, since I was told it would support Haswell and I'd like to get the newest stuff so it'll last a bit longer (and will probably be supported longer too). Also, the newest OS X version I have is Lion, so I'd like to know if it's possible to buy Mavericks from Lion or if it's necessary to get Mountain Lion first (which would be a waste of €20,-). I know they always teach us to only upgrade when you know all you stuff is supported, but I want to have something new that will last a while aka. Haswell, which requires Mavericks...

It is going to be used mainly for audio recording and editing, mostly in Logic Pro but also in Pro Tools, Ableton, etc. Occasional video editing will also be done, so a good graphics card is required. Apart from that, enough RAM to allow for around 10-20 tracks in Logic. Since I also use mainstage, it seems that I would need a processor capable of a jamming session. :headbang:

I'd go for the Haswell-variant of my bf's processor and most of his hardware, so it would be (I'm not really a pro in this though):
- Intel i7-4770 (not the K-model).
- 16GB RAM 1600MHz
- Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD + 1TB "storage" drive.
- Nvidia GTX 770 (which is said to be the same as my bf's 680, only newer and cheaper)

I also have a large audio rig, which does have room for a HTPC case. The Fractal Design node 605 looks really nice and fits in my rig, so if all other components fit inside it, my desk would remain uncluttered (apart from a DAW controller and screen that is). They also sell a platinum-certified 600W power supply, which should be enough for the selected components. Also, it only spins the fan at higher loads, so it's quieter. :shh:

The only thing I don't have a clue about is the motherboard. All my equipment is external, so I only need a slot for the graphics and enough USB ports. Firewire would be nice too. An additional requirement seems to be the micro-ATX form factor, since I will need an optical drive (case only supports µATX in combination with slim optical drive). This is my main concern and what I'll need suggestions for.
This is also the thing that is most unclear on the forum: some say all UEFI motherboards are compatible, but others say only Gigabyte boards are.. :crazy: Can anyone please explain this? I have a technical background (bachelors degree in technical/electronics for audio production), but apart from using it, software isn't my cup of tea.
Never built a computer in my life (my dad usually gets a new iMac every 2-3 years and my brother, sister and I got the old ones), but I have taken apart and repaired quite a few DAWs, amps, pre-amps, instruments, and other audio equipment (which is also my job - I'm a studio recording technician and we repair our own equipment).
Basically I want to say I'll be able to build it, but the software won't be as easy for me. :rolleyes:

So, thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.
(And also for providing tools for software-noobs like me :thumbup:)

Greetings,

Charlotte (Ericidi).

Hi everyone,

[/
QUOTE]Like everyone here, I'd like to build a hackintosh. I currently have an iMac and a Macbook Air. The iMac is '08 and needs to be replaced. A new Mac's pricetag is a bit too steep for my budget - just spent a lot on a new bass, tube amp and cabinet. Thought the iMac would keep up a bit longer, but it starts to feel slow. :banghead:

So my bf recommended this community. He built one too and says it saved him about €1000,- on a €2800,- iMac equivalent. :mrgreen: The timeframe I had in mind is with the release of Mavericks, since I was told it would support Haswell and I'd like to get the newest stuff so it'll last a bit longer (and will probably be supported longer too). Also, the newest OS X version I have is Lion, so I'd like to know if it's possible to buy Mavericks from Lion or if it's necessary to get Mountain Lion first (which would be a waste of €20,-). I know they always teach us to only upgrade when you know all you stuff is supported, but I want to have something new that will last a while aka. Haswell, which requires Mavericks...

If your iMac can update to Mavericks then you will be able to use it - if not then you need to spend $20 on Mountain Lion, which has Haswell support in 10.8.5 when it becomes available. You will not need Mavericks - it would just be nice to have at this stage.

It is going to be used mainly for audio recording and editing, mostly in Logic Pro but also in Pro Tools, Ableton, etc. Occasional video editing will also be done, so a good graphics card is required. Apart from that, enough RAM to allow for around 10-20 tracks in Logic. Since I also use mainstage, it seems that I would need a processor capable of a jamming session. :headbang:

Then this will be a good place to go and find more info : http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/

I'd go for the Haswell-variant of my bf's processor and most of his hardware, so it would be (I'm not really a pro in this though):
- Intel i7-4770 (not the K-model).
- 16GB RAM 1600MHz
- Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD + 1TB "storage" drive.
- Nvidia GTX 770 (which is said to be the same as my bf's 680, only newer and cheaper)

Hardware looks fine

I also have a large audio rig, which does have room for a HTPC case. The Fractal Design node 605 looks really nice and fits in my rig, so if all other components fit inside it, my desk would remain uncluttered (apart from a DAW controller and screen that is). They also sell a platinum-certified 600W power supply, which should be enough for the selected components. Also, it only spins the fan at higher loads, so it's quieter. :shh:

The only thing I don't have a clue about is the motherboard. All my equipment is external, so I only need a slot for the graphics and enough USB ports. Firewire would be nice too. An additional requirement seems to be the micro-ATX form factor, since I will need an optical drive (case only supports µATX in combination with slim optical drive). This is my main concern and what I'll need suggestions for.
This is also the thing that is most unclear on the forum: some say all UEFI motherboards are compatible, but others say only Gigabyte boards are.. :crazy: Can anyone please explain this? I have a technical background (bachelors degree in technical/electronics for audio production), but apart from using it, software isn't my cup of tea.

Gigabyte stuff is simpler to get working, so its best for non pro builders.

Never built a computer in my life (my dad usually gets a new iMac every 2-3 years and my brother, sister and I got the old ones), but I have taken apart and repaired quite a few DAWs, amps, pre-amps, instruments, and other audio equipment (which is also my job - I'm a studio recording technician and we repair our own equipment).
Basically I want to say I'll be able to build it, but the software won't be as easy for me. :rolleyes:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/104542-im-new-everything-where-do-i-start.html

So, thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.
(And also for providing tools for software-noobs like me :thumbup:)

Some other helpful links : http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...well-compatible-power-supply-information.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...-latest-haswell-lga1150-motherboard-info.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/358-early-adopter-s-guide-intel-s-haswell-cpus-8-series-motherboards.html

That should get you started. Preparation is the key to a successful build :thumbup:

Adrian B

Thanks for your reply!:thumbup:

If your iMac can update to Mavericks then you will be able to use it - if not then you need to spend $20 on Mountain Lion, which has Haswell support in 10.8.5 when it becomes available. You will not need Mavericks - it would just be nice to have at this stage.
Chances are it won't be able to, but to my knowledge, the (newer) Air should be.

Hardware looks fine
Gigabyte stuff is simpler to get working, so its best for non pro builders.
I'll look into that. I know support for Haswell is not official yet, but do you know of any micro ATX boards that work? Or will any. GB-board work?

Thanks, I had read most of that before registering, but it seems Haswell is a weird one.... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... Hope that changes when Mavericks is out and I can make a final decision. ;)

Charlotte

Thanks for your reply!:thumbup:

Chances are it won't be able to, but to my knowledge, the (newer) Air should be.

Here is the best compatibility list to date.
http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-list-of-macs-compatible-with-os-x-mavericks-512550369

I'll look into that. I know support for Haswell is not official yet, but do you know of any micro ATX boards that work? Or will any. GB-board work?

The GA-B85M-*** style range have had great compatibility in recent years, this looks like it is going to be similar again for Mavericks. Gigabyte will probably have at least five or six good micro ATX boards again that will work well for running OS X. Only two will probably make it to the buyers guide - down to space alone. For more info see the list compiled by SJ Underwater.

Thanks, I had read most of that before registering, but it seems Haswell is a weird one.... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... Hope that changes when Mavericks is out and I can make a final decision. ;)

To be fair - most developers that are running Haswell rigs seem to be very happy, this is running software (10.8.5 or mostly Mavericks) that is being tested running on real Mac hardware. Even so , there are audio codecs causing problems, USB3 issues needing ironed out, iMessages and Wifi issues - the last two of these are more problems from Apple than the Hackintosh community, even so USB 3 has been available for the last year - and on across 20 different hacks, some have no problems, some have minor problems, some have random problems. We need to accept that some things will not be as good on a hack. We can make machines that are faster for less and we can have some fun doing it. :thumbup:

Adrian B

Seems like both will run it! Thanks ;)

The GA-B85M-*** style range have had great compatibility in recent years, this looks like it is going to be similar again for Mavericks. Gigabyte will probably have at least five or six good micro ATX boards again that will work well for running OS X. Only two will probably make it to the buyers guide - down to space alone. For more info see the list compiled by SJ Underwater.
I think I'll get the B85M-D3H (only B85M in store here atm) as soon as I see a Mevericks confirmed build with it here. Just to be sure...

Is this list up to date? There seems to be very little info on working slim blu-ray drives. In the laptops area the exact optical drive type is rarely mentioned as well.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Charlotte.

Seems like both will run it! Thanks ;)

I think I'll get the B85M-D3H (only B85M in store here atm) as soon as I see a Mevericks confirmed build with it here. Just to be sure...

You will see two boards in the buyers guide - if this one is not listed then please ask :thumbup:

Is this list up to date? There seems to be very little info on working slim blu-ray drives. In the laptops area the exact optical drive type is rarely mentioned as well.

No it is not up to date - there is always more to do than there is people and time. I will flag up the slim optical drives - cases are starting to appear more frequently that use these instead of a normal 5.25" drive. We are aware about the wiki page - it keeps getting mentioned that it is out of date and needs updated (completely overhauled) and we all slip quietly away.....;). I think you will agree that the amount of available information here is very good and we have lots of comments from builders that help other people out too.

Adrian B

I think you will agree that the amount of available information here is very good and we have lots of comments from builders that help other people out too.
The info to be found here is quite extensive yes, just not always easy to find. Updating the wiki would definitely be nice. Most people (myself included) just seem to ask for it now. :rolleyes:

Maybe a list (table) of all (golden) builds with checkbox filters for motherboard, graphics, processor, etc. with multibeast settings (and perhaps link to the post) would help a lot. I know it's in the forums already, but a better searchable list would be nice. This way, you'd easily be able to check if the same combination has been built and how it has been made to work...
Turning out seperate lists of the hardware from that list should be possible, too.
Just a thought ;)

Charlotte.

The info to be found here is quite extensive yes, just not always easy to find. Updating the wiki would definitely be nice. Most people (myself included) just seem to ask for it now. :rolleyes:

We encourage people to use the 'Golden Builds' as a drop off for getting further information, like MultiBeast settings, Bios info, problem solving for particular hardware specs etc. These builds are often kept up to date by the people who write them.

Maybe a list (table) of all (golden) builds with checkbox filters for motherboard, graphics, processor, etc. with multibeast settings (and perhaps link to the post) would help a lot. I know it's in the forums already, but a better searchable list would be nice. This way, you'd easily be able to check if the same combination has been built and how its been made to work...

For each motherboard there are different revisions, different bios software. For each processor that we recommend Intel make another three that builders use, for each graphics card we recommend there are dozens of others available around the world in different markets, just a little different. Some work great some don't. Then there is the Apple updates that manage to break working things like wifi, iCloud and iMessages. Each version of MultiBeast tries to keep up to date, but there is also UniBeast, Chameleon, Clover etc. Users are encouraged to use the search feature, moderators and other site visitors are generally good at pointing people in the right direction or giving the advice/answers required.

The permutations are truly mind boggling I am afraid and scale of the project is beyond anything we are capable of creating. We do not sell a finished product - Apple do however and they still have problems!

Many users of this site have never built a computer, nor have they even used OS X, the scale of knowledge, ability, understanding, computer use and users level of practicality varies enormously. There is no coding required to undertake anything, yet if you want HDMI audio more work is required as it is not possible to do as a MultiBeast tick box.

Turning out seperate lists of the hardware from that list should be possible, too.
Just a thought ;)

Volunteering? You clearly think it is a easy project for a group of part time enthusiasts ;)
We will continue to help those who wish to run OS X on PC hardware, the thing is this is a hobby - if it were a commercial operation it would shut down by Apple very quickly.

Kind Regards,
Adrian B

The permutations are truly mind boggling I am afraid and scale of the project is beyond anything we are capable of creating. We do not sell a finished product - Apple do however and they still have problems!
Volunteering? You clearly think it is a easy project for a group of part time enthusiasts ;)
We will continue to help those who wish to run OS X on PC hardware, the thing is this is a hobby - if it were a commercial operation it would shut down by Apple very quickly.
I clearly underestimated how small changes can affect everything else. If you did have such a list however (if it's even possible at all), the 'easy' part would be returning the confirmed working parts per hardware type. Creating and maintaining the list however clearly isn't as easy as I thought...o_O
Well, I'm always willing to help out, but as I don't have a clue about how each version/parameter affects every other one, I don't think it would be such a good idea. I have some knowledge of php/mysql, but probably not enough for this. I should probably just try and get my own build working first, though :rolleyes:

Sorry if I suggested that the work you guys do is easy. I never meant that. Heck, I don't even understand most of it, so anything you do is a huge help! :thumbup:

Charlotte.

I clearly underestimated how small changes can affect everything else. If you did have such a list however (if it's even possible at all), the 'easy' part would be returning the confirmed working parts per hardware type. Creating and maintaining the list however clearly isn't as easy as I thought...o_O
Well, I'm always willing to help out, but as I don't have a clue about how each version/parameter affects every other one, I don't think it would be such a good idea. I have some knowledge of php/mysql, but probably not enough for this. I should probably just try and get my own build working first, though :rolleyes:

Sorry if I suggested that the work you guys do is easy. I never meant that. Heck, I don't even understand most of it, so anything you do is a huge help! :thumbup:

Charlotte.

You brought up a perfectly good point. In an ideal world, it would be really sweet to have such a simple to use spreadsheet (I didn't include ALL the variables)
I must admit that only a few months ago I though much the same - wouldn't it be easier if....well that was before I did my own build and started to help out others out with their questions. I started to see some of the variables open up before me. Anyway information is key, simplicity is good. We just need to keep plugging away. The Golden builds are always the ones that people link to. If you detail your build, it could end up as a Golden Build. :thumbup:

Behind the scenes there is another few Haswell builds, further software updates and a great deal more happening. There is lots happening so that you and others can get your build up and running. We have been busy testing stuff out and there is lots of great stuff coming.

Enjoy your build, if you need assistance, then look to see if someone has posted the info you seek. Otherwise create a new thread, you have done plenty of research - much more than some seem to do. :thumbup:

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back