Contribute
Register

Logic Pro and the i9-9900K- A Test (Solved... unexpectedly ;P)

Motherboard
X58A-UD5
CPU
i7-930
Graphics
HD 4870
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Using the New Logic Multitrack Benchmark Test I can run 157 tracks at 44.1KHz with a 128 sample buffer. Turned it on a loop for 15 min or so without a CPU overload.

Attachments

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
eMac, Power Mac
@ Sparkmac & Samuel84, would it be possible to test with the known logic benchmark just for comparison ? If so below are the links for the old/newer version.
@Dajjal

On the old version I got:

@ 44.1 kHz- 828 Tracks, 122 Watts (no monitor or sound card power)
@ 96 kHz- 251 Tracks, 122 Watts ("...")

(just a bit silly really, imo)

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
eMac, Power Mac
@Dajjal

On the new version I got:

@ 44.1 kHz- 170 Tracks, 121 Watts (no monitor or sound card power)
@ 96 kHz- 63 Tracks, 121 Watts ("...")

Attachments

Yo guys! (and gals in case there's any)

I suggest you run the "old" Benchmark Test found on our site as it's the first and original test created by Evan from Gearslutz. This test has existed for over 10 years now and was ran on a lot of different Macs during that time (just take a look at our benchmark chart).

The new test has different settings and is less neutral than Evan's test. The test's purpose is not to get an indicator of how many tracks your Mac will run in a real production environment. Everyone's working in a different way and therefore the way the CPU load is spread will never be identical to everyone's way of working (some people use recorded audio tracks, some plenty of busses, others only virtual tracks but with a lot of plugins, etc.).

The purpose of the test is comparison: To compare different machines with each other, and that works best when the conditions are the same - for the sake of objectivity :) The test's goal is therefore not your individual score - because that doesn't mean a lot - but much rather the margins between the average scores of different machines. A comparison will be hard if a lot of different tests pop up and especially if there's confusion about which test was which and results get mixed up.

So the only thing we did was take Evan's well-known test and put up a site with a graph so that the results can be visualized more easily - which wasn't really possible before…

Anyway: Keep it up, people! Wish you all the best.

Motherboard
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Dajjal

On the old version I got:

@ 44.1 kHz- 828 Tracks, 122 Watts (no monitor or sound card power)
@ 96 kHz- 251 Tracks, 122 Watts ("...")

(just a bit silly really, imo)
I'm maxing out at 337 tracks using the old test. I have UAD panel and Dropbox running in the background. Not overclocked. Z390 Designaire i9-9900K.

I'm trying to figure out how the heck you're able to run 828 tracks using the old test. Do you have some custom power management applied? Are you overclocked?