Contribute
Register

Logic Pro 9 Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that's what I can't figure out. How your 870, air cooled, with lower speed RAM and platter drives edges out my 950 OC'd to 3.8, Logic running from SSD and RAM at 1333. Cooled via Corsair H60 liquid cooler and my temps are higher than yours as well. That just doesn't make sense. Not that I'm complaining on the track count I get, but I would have expected higher.

Stock speed i7-870 running 10.6.8.

Re temps:

The Scythe Mugen II makes a BIG difference. It's in a push pull config and bear in mind that the case fan is 200mm so it's exhausting huge volumes of hot air (quietly). There's also a 120mm Noctua on the rear exhausting.

@vlab / JJ,

I would have expected to see more tracks than that with 9 series i7 processors ?

Out of curiousity, did you leave the advanced processor settings in the BIOS in "auto" or are they set to "enabled" ie c-states / turbo etc?

Hello
i get 99 Tracks with RME FF400 on i7-2600k/ASUS P8P67-M Pro/16GB DDR1600
Turbo @ 4.6GHz
Logic 9.1.6(32bit) - OSX 10.6.8 and I/O-Buffersize @ 128 Samples !

At least for Geekbench 32 vs 64 Bit does have a big impact.
Try going for 10.7.3 64 Bit. Did you try disabling ALL power saving features (you can enable those saving lots of power/heat step by step)... also try NullCPUPowerManagement

p.s.: I had around 15-25% higher FPS with NullCPUPowerManagement in 10.6.x ... did not test for ages cause I like deep sleep/standby and do not care about FPS/CPU speed much.

Update,
i get 99 Tracks with RME FF400 on i7-2600k/ASUS P8P67-M Pro/16GB DDR1600
Turbo @ 4GHz
Logic 9.1.7(64bit) - OSX 10.7.3 and I/O-Buffersize @ 256 Samples !

After installing my new 16GB corsair Vengeance RAM, OCing to 3.52GHz

I get 79 tracks open happily.

Intel i7 870 - GAP55M-UD2, HD6870 XFX, 16GB DDR3 1600

Test Machine: i7 2600k Hackintosh, 16gig 1600 Vengence Ram, Non overclocked.
i/o: 512
Buffer: mid
Threads: 8
Track Mute/Solo behaviour: CPU saving
Software Monitoring: off
ESX virtual memory: on

94 tracks stable!

Very happy :headbang:

vlab said:
Jabulani Jonny said:
How your 870, air cooled, with lower speed RAM and platter drives edges out my 950 OC'd to 3.8, Logic running from SSD and RAM at 1333. Cooled via Corsair H60 liquid cooler and my temps are higher than yours as well. That just doesn't make sense.

Funny I was just thinking the same thing ...

I have a 6 core I7 970, with 12gb 1600mhzDDR3, liquid cooled with Corsair H70 (though my temps are lower, even if I don't use the fans, only radiator), If he does 77 tracks,
I guess I should be doing 100 tracks ... not 80 ...

@avdo: is your CPU overclocked? are you running SL or Lion?

Doh...I just saw/thought of something. I'll have to check it when I get home though. What's the I/O buffer set to? I think mine was set at 128, rather than 256 or 512 when last I checked. I'm sure that's affecting the lower than anticipated track count.

I'm very new on this post, but I will try to help a bit.
My rig:
* Intel Core 2 DUO E8400@ 3.0GHZ (no overclocking).
* ASUS P5G41T-M LX
* 8Gb DDR3 1333
* Nvidia G 210 1GB
* MOTU 828 MK I with 128 samples in the Audio buffer. It gives me a latency of about 7ms which is very good for this machine.
* LaCie PCI Firewire 400 card. I use it with the MOTU and it works perfect. If you are planning to use a Firewire audio device always get a firewire port with Texas Instruments chip. You will save a lot of headaches.
* MIDI keyboard M-Audio Radium 61 plug by USB.
* Snow Leopard 10.6.8 32 Bits
* Logic 9.1.5 32 bits
* Lots of audio plugins (including Waves complete V9r3)

I was able to run 22 tracks with the Evan Logic Multicore Benchmark, but 1 more track causes system overload. Planning to update this machine very soon.

I'm a Logic Pro user since Logic 3.0 back in the 90's so in my opinion, let me give you some advises:

- If u can, always look for a CPU multicore (the more cores, more performance) and better with Hyper Threading (Logic Pro uses ALL cores and virtual cores together).

- The more RAM, better performance. Try to find something like DDR3 1866 or better and 16Gb or more. Logic Pro takes advantage of the speed and the amount of your RAM.

- SSD hard drive for the OSX. The faster the system can load, the better the performance. If you can also try to save some money for another SSD HD to put your sample library in it. It increases the performance a lot.

- I will say it again. Always look for a Texas Instruments Firewire card or ports in your motherboard if you plan to use firewire audio cards (which are the best out there). I was using a VIA firewire chip and I had a lot of pops and cracks in my audio. Even sometimes Logic Pro didn't started. I switched to LaCie Firewire 400 PCI card (about 40€ I paid), and my audio device started to work clean and clear again.

- Configure Logic Pro 9.1.3 and above. Go to Preferences>Audio>Threads (or Subprocess I don't remember it very well) and set it to the maximum you can instead of automatic. You will notice better performance.

- Set the audio buffer to 256 or 128 samples. It will give you a low latency.

I hope I helped anyone who needed some little advise. Feel free to ask me anything you need to know.

THX!

i7 4790K @4.4GHz (H100i Cooler)
32GB RAM @1866MHz
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
1TB Samsung 840 EVO
Scarlett2i4 for audio out

OSX 10.10.1
Logic Pro 10.0.5 (I don't have 9)
139 tracks stable:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.