Contribute
Register

Logic doesn't use my powerful Hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X299 TUF Mark 1
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I know that my problem doesn't directly concern the Hackintosh and some will surely tell me that it doesn't belong here.
But since my computer is a Hackintosh, chances are I'm getting rid of Logic or Apple forums.

I just hope there are Logic users here who can help me.
Since the beginning of the year I'm still experiment bad performances only when I'm working in Logic pro X.
I read all the topics about optimizing the performance of logic.
So, do not talk to me about things like this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200260.
I have tried so many things until I decided to follow a very strict protocol to minimize the parameters.
First my computer is :
Mac pro I9-7900X 10 cores 20 threads 3.3GHz (OC 4.7GHz) delid with Conductonaut and copper IHS
MB Asus TUF X299 MARK-2, 64GB ram.
Corsair Hydro Series H110i AIO + 4 Noctua fans
I followed this
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/
for the bios configuration.
I kept only 2 drive installed (960 Samsung nvme), one with OSX and the other where I put Logic project.
I made a fresh install of High Sierra. I installed only Logic Pro X and 1 plugin, yes only 1 plugin!
I choose U-He Diva because he is CPU hungry. So the problem cannot come from a bad installation or bad plugins.
Here is the bench I have with only these things installed. It's really excellent, no?
You can see on PowerGadget windows, CPU pics at 4.7GHz, Power pics at 220W and % pics at 100.
So my computer is able to do that.

Bench1.png

So I made a totally new project (no template) in Logic pro with several instruments to load the CPU Logic gauge.
I put the best settings in audio Logic's preferences.
So you can see in first pic, Logic CPU gauge is high but my Processor runs only at 1.37GHz while he can go up to 4.7GHz, why?

LogicH1.png

On second pic I have the famous overload message but my CPU only runs between 2 and 3GHz with about 30% utilization.
Why Logic doesn't use the power of my computer? I built a big computer and still have the same performances as with my previous computer.

LogicH2.png

For information, I made same tests and got same results with:
- Logic 10.2.2, Logic 10.3.3, Logic 10.4.0, Logic 10.4.2
I repeat I have no problem with others applications, only Logic. I have tuned the bios to get the best performances.
And, oh I forget that, when Logic overload, CPU usage in Apple's monitor is about 30%, there is nothing in Monitor that eat CPU or ram, really nothing, and no fan noises, the computer stays silent. It's just as if Logic doesn't want to use the available power.
I'm open to any suggestions.
I would be forever grateful to whoever will find the stuff that stuck. A reward is not excluded ;-)

Try setting the bios NOT to use Multithreading and then have a look at clock speeds.

What if you switch Diva to multicore on?

It looks like not all your cores are used. This may well be a restriction of the current version of Logic.

Hi, ive notificed that high sierra had very poor performance with Logic as a daw. I am On x99 system myself. In the past Ive had high sierra installed but due to bad performance (simular like yours) i switched back to Sierra . Performance increased significantly.

Also you might want to set quality in diva to the lowest when playing and best when processing.

Hope this helps you out

First, thanks for these fast replies.

"Try setting the bios NOT to use Multithreading and then have a look at clock speeds."
OK I will try disable HyperThreading in my bios and see what happens.

"What if you switch Diva to multicore on"
I've already tried and I had the same problem with Kontakt and even if I use only Logic instruments (I must put more instruments). I don't think DIva is the problem. I can reproduce the phenomenon whatever the plugin used.
The problem is the difference between CPU gauge inside Logic and outside Logic. Outside it tells me I use 30% of CPU but in Logic CPU is overloaded.

"I switched back to Sierra"
I had the same problem with an El Capitan installation but didn't try Sierra...

And I also found another idea, disable C-States in bios... I will try this evening, I'm at work now, not on my Hack...

I was hoping changing things on C-State would help cause I read about this on gamer forum. I put Package C-State on C0/C1.
I also tried disable Enhanced halt state C1E or/and CPU C6 report... etc. It changes nothing.

Nicksoph, about trying not to use Multithreading, I found only one thing in my bios. In Advanced/CPU configuration i have Hyper-Threading [ALL]. I can just disable it. When I do that the machine doesn't start... endless Apple barre progression... ?

Of course I've tried this at the first beginning.
I've tried all values in Logic /audio /preference /processing threads (segment de calcul chez moi), automatic and from 4 to 20...

From another forum on another site: "...while (GPU audio processing) it is possible, it has a lot of downsides. Foremost the (GPU) calculation is parallel, which is ineffective for realtime audio processing..."

In a nutshell, the CPU and RAM does the work. The GPU just redraws the screen. When I launch Avid Pro Tools 2018.10 session and I can open the Activity Monitor utility and view the "GPU History" meter, you can see see how Avid's using a bit from my RX-580 just to draw the screen, though last night it was using more with the same session. If I make a 96KHz/32-bit-float version of the session the performance of the CPU only gets hammered by another 15% or so, but the GPU performance is the same. Since I'm using VI's that are sampled at 44.1KHz, there's really no need to put my system through that unless I need to bounce the final stems or mix to a particular delivery spec. So I think it's the meters that are making the GPU work. It'll work harder if you're scoring to a video track in your session. I hope this helps.
Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 4.41.05 PM.png

Thanks jiffyslot for taking time to answer me, but I don't really undertsand what you means...
When I make these Logic tests the screen is static, the GPU work is very low. My GPU is a RX570.

I'm trying now to make a totally new Hach with Imac Pro def by following the kgp guide
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-successful-build-extended-guide.255082/
For the moment it does not work. This is just the beginning and already my Mojave usb installation drive does not boot. Don't know why. I had followed exactly what kgp said... but it's another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back