Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z490 Gaming WiFi
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
WX4100
Hi Everyone,
I'm doing my first fresh build since 2013. I put together a new machine that should last several years until I'm forced to buy a real mac (BOOOO). A ton has changed since I did this so I feel back to square one on my knowledge.
My in-progress build is:
i7 10700 comet lake
Asus Z490 gaming WiFi
32GB DDR4 2400 RAM
Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi card
Samsung 870 500GB SSD for OS install

I am installing Catalina since it still has a Unibeast sidekick to help me along, but I am already stuck on the install screen. (I also read that OpenCORE is not rookie friendly, so I'm sticking with what I know, even if that isn't much.)
I DLed and dropped the newest Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts into Clover->Kexts->Other on the USB key.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to put me in the right direction.

Attachments

• tempImagelsFjH2.png
    tempImagelsFjH2.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 52
try this efi.

Attachments

• Hackintosh-ASUS-Rog-Strix-z490-i-Gaming-OpenCore-main.zip
    11.5 MB · Views: 49
My guy! Thanks for dropping this in.
I was actually going to close this thread since it had zero replies.
I ended up going to the OpenCore route since it seemed like Clover was dead. I took it real slow to read to the guide and forum posts on issues as they came up but I hit a wall. I've been look around the net for folks with a similar issue but haven't found a solve..
Can you point me in the right direction on this one?

Attachments

• tempImageYAKigE.png
    tempImageYAKigE.png
    11.8 MB · Views: 47
What GPU you use?

Tomorrow we will fix it.... Have a good night

Last edited:
Radeon PRO WX4100. The is connected and passing signal through my monitor.
I was able to get to a Catalina install screen, format the SSD for the OS, and run a round of install but I've been stuck where the screenshot is.

BIOS Settings !!!​

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLockunder Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

#Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
    • 2020+ BIOS Notes: When enabling Above4G, Resizable BAR Support may become an available on some Z490 and newer motherboards. Please ensure that Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars is set to 0 if this is enabled.
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

#

Here is the new EFI. Its to start Catalina.For Big Sur or Monterey we need to add usbmapping

PS: WIFI Bluetooth Kexts not in efi

Attachments

• Hackintosh-ASUS-Rog-Strix-z490-i-Gaming-OpenCore 0.8.0 main.zip
    11.5 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I'm doing my first fresh build since 2013. I put together a new machine that should last several years until I'm forced to buy a real mac (BOOOO). A ton has changed since I did this so I feel back to square one on my knowledge.
My in-progress build is:
i7 10700 comet lake
Asus Z490 gaming WiFi
32GB DDR4 2400 RAM
Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi card
Samsung 870 500GB SSD for OS install

I am installing Catalina since it still has a Unibeast sidekick to help me along, but I am already stuck on the install screen. (I also read that OpenCORE is not rookie friendly, so I'm sticking with what I know, even if that isn't much.)
I DLed and dropped the newest Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts into Clover->Kexts->Other on the USB key.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to put me in the right direction.
I have a guide here for Z490 on Opencore that you can use. You can download the EFI for Catalina which is on OC 0.6.5. and simply drop in your UUID, ROM and serials under the Platform section to boot. Just make sure to also check AppleXcpmExtraMsrs for the Asus under Kernel and possibly add agdpmod=pikera to the end of the NVRAM boot-arg. Also make sure CFG-Lock is disabled in BIOS (as with other settings listed) as Hecatomb has advised.
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...re-i5-10400-i9-11900k-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

Unfortunately Clover is not recommended for booting Z490 on Catalina upwards imho - it doesn't have the necessary parameters needed for things like CPUID spoofing and is poor on bypassing the tougher memory access measures introduced under Catalina. Clover may be good for beginners to hackintosh, but Opencore is a far more flexible bootloader imo that allows for a broader and I believe finer range of adjustments to the system.

BIOS Settings !!!​

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLockunder Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

#Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
    • 2020+ BIOS Notes: When enabling Above4G, Resizable BAR Support may become an available on some Z490 and newer motherboards. Please ensure that Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars is set to 0 if this is enabled.
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

#

Here is the new EFI. Its to start Catalina.For Big Sur or Monterey we need to add usbmapping

PS: WIFI Bluetooth Kexts not in efi
Big thanks on this. I double checked my BIOS settings (for my motherboard VMX=VT-x wasn't enabled but this didn't impact where I am currently stalled).
Your EFI allowed gets me to a GUI to choose between the CatalinaInstall USB and my SSD.
After selecting either, I get to this same screen and the system hangs. What do you think?

Attachments

• tempImageAtFVH9.png
    tempImageAtFVH9.png
    13.9 MB · Views: 45
I have a guide here for Z490 on Opencore that you can use. You can download the EFI for Catalina which is on OC 0.6.5. and simply drop in your UUID, ROM and serials under the Platform section to boot. Just make sure to also check AppleXcpmExtraMsrs for the Asus under Kernel and possibly add agdpmod=pikera to the end of the NVRAM boot-arg. Also make sure CFG-Lock is disabled in BIOS (as with other settings listed) as Hecatomb has advised.
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...re-i5-10400-i9-11900k-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

Unfortunately Clover is not recommended for booting Z490 on Catalina upwards imho - it doesn't have the necessary parameters needed for things like CPUID spoofing and is poor on bypassing the tougher memory access measures introduced under Catalina. Clover may be good for beginners to hackintosh, but Opencore is a far more flexible bootloader imo that allows for a broader and I believe finer range of adjustments to the system.
I ended up not trying clover and spending 10+ hours doing an initial OpenCore build + troubleshooting before I had to post for help. It's tricky and a learning process since this editing is soooo much deeper than I remember Clover being.
I added you agdpmod=pikera bootflag, enabled AppleXcpmExtraMsrs and enabled BOTH CFGlock areas in Kernal->Quirks but they don't help me advance past the screenshot in the post above.
I have been wondering if I picked a pain-in-the-ass motherboard.

Do you have deactivate the igpu graphic in bios?

I will check tomorrow. I am tired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back