i7-930
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
EDIT - 16th Dec 2011

This thread is now LOCKED. The guide was relevant for the 10.6.7 update when there was seperate kexts for the iMac and MacBookPro updates that we needed to use for ATI 5XXX and 6XXX cards. These kexts are now included in the latest versions of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Lion (10.7.2) at the time of locking this thread, so just download the latest Combo updates for your version of OSX and you do not need to install the ATI kexts separately. Chimera now includes the coding required to initiate all standard hack compatible 5XXX and 6XXX cards.

The thread has been left because it contains some useful troubleshooting info such as using BDMesg and IOReg to help see what is going on in the background.

I hope you found this useful and good luck with you hack building.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:
I have updated this post on 9th May 2011 to reflect the new iMac ATI kexts (1.6.34.13) that have been released and also to change the prefered method of framebuffer injection. Before I suggested DSDT edits however now we have Chimera so there is no need for GraphicsEnabler=No as Chimera supports Sandy Bridge now as well as ATI cards.

Please jump over to pages 46/47 for the start of the replies on this new guide.

This method will help get full QE/CI working with DVD player, geekbench, etc by using GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

The following graphics cards appear to be natively supported:
ATI Radeon HD 5630 Device ID 0x68D8
ATI Radeon HD 5630 Device ID 0x68D9
ATI Radeon HD 5670 Device ID 0x68D8
ATI Radeon HD 5730 Device ID 0x68D8
ATI Radeon HD 5770 Device ID 0x68B8
ATI Radeon HD 5850 Device ID 0x6899
ATI Radeon HD 5870 Device ID 0x6898

AMD Radeon HD 6850 Device ID 0x6739
AMD Radeon HD 6870 Device ID 0x6738

Warning - XFX 5770 card users are reporting issues - might not work if you have one of these cards. PLEASE BACK UP FIRST !!!!

Also I'm yet to see anyone with a working 69XX card working from these. If you do get it working then please post here.

The trick to solving the DVD player crashing issue was by Netkas who realised the framebuffer issue but I won't bore you with the details if you don't know - please read his blog.Netkas' post

Note now we aren't doing DSDT framebuffer injection you will need the HDMI audio code separately in your DSDT if you want that but there is a blog post coming soon on this.

What you will need
The latest Chimera 1.3.0 or later from MultiBeast 3.6.0 or later
The iMac ATI kexts (1.6.34.13) in MultiBeast 3.6.0 or later
IORegistryExplorer - it's in Xcode Tools or I've attached it to this post

1. Run MultiBeast !!! And select the ATI kexts under Graphics with System Utilities also checked. You want a GraphicsEnabler=Yes boot.plist in either 32 or 64 bit mode to suit you. Restore your original unedited DSDT to /Extra and remove any AtiConfig flags from your boot.plist. Note when you install the ATI kexts from MultiBeast then will overwrite the kexts that you currently have in ~/Desktop/ATI-Backup/ so I'd suggest that you rename the original folder that is on your desktop if you want to keep the original 10.6.7 normal ATI kexts (if you want to be extra safe and be able to restore them without using Pacifist to extract them from the normal combo 10.6.7 update).

2. Install IORegistryExplorer

2. Reboot and see what framebuffer has loaded. Go into Terminal and type:
Code:
ioreg | grep ATY

If you have a proper framebuffer loaded it will look like:
Not-Shys-Mac-Pro:~ notshy$ ioreg | grep ATY
| | | +-o ATY,Vervet@0 <class IOFBStub, id 0x100000356, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4122 ms), retain 7>
| | | | +-o ATY_Vervet <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x10000036a, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (3969 ms), retain 16>
| | | +-o ATY,Vervet@1 <class IOFBStub, id 0x100000357, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (6 ms), retain 7>
| | | | +-o ATY_Vervet <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x10000037b, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain 13>
| | | +-o ATY,Vervet@2 <class IOFBStub, id 0x100000358, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (10 ms), retain 7>
| | | | +-o ATY_Vervet <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x100000381, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (8 ms), retain 13>
| | | +-o ATY,Vervet@3 <class IOFBStub, id 0x100000359, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (6 ms), retain 7>
| | | | +-o ATY_Vervet <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x100000387, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain 13>

If that works for you then all good - you may have a different framebuffer to me (i.e. not Vervet if you don't have a 5770 card) ! Test DVD player or Geekbench

If you see something like this instead:
Not-Shys-Mac-Pro:~ notshy$ ioreg | grep ATY
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$
| | | | +-o ATY_ATY,RadeonFramebuffer <class ATIFramebuffer, id 0x10$
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$
| | | +-o ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer@3 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x1000003$

If the default RadeonFramebuffer is loading then your Graphics card IDs have not been added to ATI.c yet in Chimera. Please head to this thread to help with the testing:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19330

This is a much simpler way of injecting framebuffers and is now the preferred method now that we have Chimera !!!

GOOD LUCK !

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer.app.zip
    242.2 KB · Views: 1,224
Re: Guide - New ATI Kexts from MBP 10.6.7 Update - 5XXX/6XXX

i did exactly what you said and it works mate thanks for the guide :headbang:

Are there any advantages to having the SB kexts as opposed to just using GraphicsEnabler?

This is awesome. Might have re-consider an upgrade now :lol:

Worked perfectly. Enjoying native graphics now on my beautiful LG plasma. Thanks for the guide... very clear and precise instructions. Much appreciated! Before I forget though, I notice that the iBoot screen right before the Mac boot up screen doesn't last more than a second. I rarely use it, but if I had to, is there any way of making it stay up longer?

Install follow the guide but stuck at booting after apple logo. Seeing only white screen and cursor. please help. Sapphine 6970, 2600k, Asus P8P67 pro.

Burninator said:
Are there any advantages to having the SB kexts as opposed to just using GraphicsEnabler?

Yes - GraphicsEnabler=Yes means that Chameleon has to manage the graphics injection and for ATI users , we could only use the Kabyl boot file to get full acceleration in OSX.

With the above method you can use any Chameleon bootloader as OSX does the injection itself.

So you could use Valv booter if you had a AN machine and don't need to worry about Graphics injection.

Plus you should see 4 connectors now and shouldn't need to change framebuffer to use HDMI instead of DVI etc.

Burninator said:
I kinda wonder about the same.

zeox said:
Install follow the guide but stuck at booting after apple logo. Seeing only white screen and cursor. please help. Sapphine 6970, 2600k, Asus P8P67 pro.

What are the IDs for your card? What method were u using before?

Handover went okay, it booted up just fine first time around (with more graceful transition from bootsplash to login), but, as noted on the blog, it breaks Geekbench and DVD player. Also, no tremendous increase in Cinebench framerate (27.79 from 27.03). I'll do a bit more testing later to see if there are any more casualties.

Thanks for the guide, Notshy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back