Contribute
Register

[LOCKED] Guide - New ATI Kexts from iMac 10.6.7 - 5XXX/6XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide - New ATI Kexts from MBP 10.6.7 Update - 5XXX/6XXX

This is more confusing than ever.

So, is there any way to use these and still have my steam games work? I reinstalled the ATI exp. bootloader, and set GE=yes, but now it just seems like I'm back to where I started and even though the new kexts are still installed they aren't being utilized??

Worst part is, I don't ever use the dvd player app and I never play the steam games anyways... :lol: I'm just curious to see how the game looks compared to the previous method.

XFX 5850 working with GraphicsEnabler = No and at 64 bits :)

seanmcd72 said:
This is more confusing than ever.

So, is there any way to use these and still have my steam games work? I reinstalled the ATI exp. bootloader, and set GE=yes, but now it just seems like I'm back to where I started and even though the new kexts are still installed they aren't being utilized??

Worst part is, I don't ever use the dvd player app and I never play the steam games anyways... :lol: I'm just curious to see how the game looks compared to the previous method.

Hahaha - indeed !

The important thing is to do some testing yourself and see what you find best. I have no doubt that people will continue to work on these new kexts but you have to realise that they've only been out a matter of days and it's no surprising that they don't work 100% out of the box but we are very much further along the line than we were before given how much DOES work without GraphicsEnabler=Yes - unlike before. So it can only mean good things !

Edit - just editing first post to include the fact that the advantage of these kexts is that they should cover more cards - like the 5850 just posted above me here - even if you are using GraphcisEnabler=Yes

I think it's safe to state that if you already have an ATI card working well, don't waste time installing these until they are fully understood.

seanmcd72 said:
don't waste time installing these until they are fully understood.

A bit harsh I think ..... :lol:

:thumbup:

seanmcd72 said:
I think it's safe to state that if you already have an ATI card working well, don't waste time installing these until they are fully understood.

Actually, if you don't use DVD Player (I use Plex) and you don't play Steam games (I play them in Windows anyway, as the card seems to perform much better there) it's definitely worth it, as I don't need to change framebuffers to use my Dual DVI and HDMI; they all work at once independently (ie each is a separate screen) unlike using Vervet or Uakari. I am very happy with the new drivers, as my system now does everything I need it to do without random monitor snow problems.

If you don't use DVD Player or play games on OS X, I would definitely recommend installing these drivers.

Hi

I replaced my NVidia with a Diamond HD 6870 ATI card yesterday. As with most people on this thread using the MBP 10.6.7 kexts works except for DVD player.

All my ports on the card (both DVI, HDMI and both MDP) are functional.

I want to test some other scenarios but thought I would ask this first: If I go to 10.6.7 ATI drivers, Kabyl and GraphicsEnabler=YES will this work with the 6870 (i dont know if Kabyl supports 6870) and will all the ports on the card continue to work, or will I have to do the framebuffer trick as well?

Thanks! :headbang:

grafixidea said:
?Are you sure the patch is the fix, or just GE=Yes did the job as notshy said?

Yes, I'm 100% sure about that.

Tried it and it didn't work ... before I applied the patch (from the other forum).

mwa3aan said:
Hi

I replaced my NVidia with a Diamond HD 6870 ATI card yesterday. As with most people on this thread using the MBP 10.6.7 kexts works except for DVD player.

All my ports on the card (both DVI, HDMI and both MDP) are functional.

I want to test some other scenarios but thought I would ask this first: If I go to 10.6.7 ATI drivers, Kably and GraphicsEnabler=YES will this work with the 6870 (i dont know if Kably supports 6870) and will all the ports on the card continue to work, or will I have to do the framebuffer trick as well?

Thanks! :headbang:

Kabyl's boot won't work for you quite yet unless you add the ID for your card to one of the source files in his coding called ATI.c . Then you'd need to compile the code for yourself and add it to the root of your drive.

There is someone who has done some of this over on the 6XXX thread at InsanelyMac so I'd take a look there. I don't know if your specific card is covered in that install method.

Thanks notshy!! I am new to this, but will start seeing what I can get done with the source code and other combinations! BTW, its still pretty cool that the 10.6.7 solution is working 90% Thanks for all the time and effort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back