Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Perhaps one of the Clover gurus can provide some insight; MB 8 places post installation kexts in /L/E while Clover places some kexts in the EFI partition. I expect kexts in the EFI partition are available at boot time which can be useful or necessary, depending on the hardware. Since kexts in /L/E might be overwritten by OS X updates or upgrades, why would one want to put non-Apple or modified kexts in /L/E versus in the EFI partition?

Perhaps one of the Clover gurus can provide some insight; MB 8 places post installation kexts in /L/E while Clover places some kexts in the EFI partition. I expect kexts in the EFI partition are available at boot time which can be useful or necessary, depending on the hardware. Since kexts in /L/E might be overwritten by OS X updates or upgrades, why would one want to put non-Apple or modified kexts in /L/E versus in the EFI partition?

OS X updates, or the OS X installer will never overwrite non-Apple provided kexts in /L/E (or /S/L/E).

Kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts are for booting the installer and/or recovery partition using Clover kext injection.

For the main partition, where kext injection is not needed, it is better to install the kexts as you would on a real Mac so they can be included in kernel cache.

OS X updates, or the OS X installer will never overwrite non-Apple provided kexts in /L/E (or /S/L/E).

Kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts are for booting the installer and/or recovery partition using Clover kext injection.

For the main partition, where kext injection is not needed, it is better to install the kexts as you would on a real Mac so they can be included in kernel cache.

Thanks RehabMan. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back