Contribute
Register

Live Tracking / Mapping / Audio Matrix :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, First of all i wanna say thanks for all the inspiration i got browsing through this forum.
I was always building my own PCs many years ago before i switched to mac.
Sometimes I really missed it, so let's see how it will feel a few weeks from now :D

I am about to build something quite unusual (at least on my side).
The end result will be a computer for a stage, delivering a set of data in real time to various components controlling the show.

1# Live motion tracking performers on stage, possibility to follow performers with moving heads, mapping and cameras.
2# Intercom (in ear stereo monitors) between performers and directors, directors can give orders to any performer and tap into any audio feed as they like.
3# Video projections on 3 large screens (no live rendering)

It's quite a complicated setup, but it's not that CPU demanding as it might seem.
Everything will be controlled in a self developed system using unity, max, osc.
The audio will be AoIP using Dante technology. This way only an ethernet cable is required between stage and backstage.
Normally a sound engineer would route the audio, but the application must be of minimal size, and have full internal control, so we have to think outside the box here.
The show will also go on tour so the computer has to be rackmounted in a rugged road ready shock proofed flight case.

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
Intel i7-7700K Kaby Lake
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Zalman CNPS8000B Silent Cpu Cooler
64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (4x16GB)
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1GB
Corsair RM 650x Watt
OSX Wifi BCM94360CD

HARDWARE:
Focusrite Red 8pre (might change to another that is also windows compatible)
3x Projectors

SOFTWARE:
Unity
Max
Ableton
OSC
Openframework

I would love to get some opinions about my build before I proceed, all thoughts are welcome.
The difference between the compatible mobo's are quite unclear to me.
All i want is to achieve with the most stable(!) and powerful build possible, but still compatible and as future proof as possible
And if anyone has any ideas about a good dante (or another powerful AoIP interface) sound card, feel free to give a heads up :)

If all goes well, I will build an almost identical hack and use as a DAW in my studio.

Thanks and geek on everybody! :)

you are good to go with that HW. anyway a K class cpu and a Z270 chipset is used for overclocking or if you need a lot SATA ports or memory slots. you would achieve the same with a H270 board so you can save some money on the build
you might also need some USB DAC for audio as the onboard audio is really low quality on the motherboards

you are good to go with that HW. anyway a K class cpu and a Z270 chipset is used for overclocking or if you need a lot SATA ports or memory slots. you would achieve the same with a H270 board so you can save some money on the build
you might also need some USB DAC for audio as the onboard audio is really low quality on the motherboards

Thanks for your answer
Okay, good to know.
I will look into the H270 chipset.
It's very important for my client to get a computer with a lot of expandability in the hardware for future use, so this was making me choose the K CPU, it seemed most expandable to me.
But all these different processors make me confused sometimes, and it's been ages since I was building computers, so I'm not updated even though I spent a lot of time lately to catch up on things.

For the audio, I'm looking into Focusrite that has native dante support, otherwise it will be some other high end solution with a dante card. I need excellent quality and stability. So the native audio on the mobo is not important.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the support for M.2 NVMe.
The more snappy and fast the computer gets, the better (surprise, surprise!) :)
But.... stable is more important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back