Motherboard
MOBO : Asrock H61VS
CPU
I5 2400
Graphics
GTX 1070 EVGA SC BLACK
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys just wanna say first that I had this craving of doing a G5 mod since I entered the world of hackintosh in 2013, and now hey I found a G5 case...... but..... there's is only one little problem.

My problem is related with the I/O front painel. Because since a G5 case (or even a used G5) is a ****ing nightmare to be found in my city I was compelled to buy one without the front I/O black cable...... (more photos below)

Since I think is going to be a even more nightmarish quest to find the front I/O cable alone I'm wondering if it is possible to "make one" of my own or at least be able only use the power button of another case and place it in the shell of the G5's power button. I only need the power button to work since I have external USB and Audio/Mic external peripherals for this.

Also buying any kits is wayyyy out of question for me. It's really expensive, and I'm not even counting the shipping time and taxes.

Thanks everyone who can help me with a good ideia or solution.

(pictures here)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (1).jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 340
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (2).jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 364
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (3).jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 383
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (4).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM (4).jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 356
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-17 at 12.17.36 PM.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 346
Check out this link for resoldering the power button:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-reuse-only-the-fron-power-button-on-the-g5.199888/

As far as the headphone, and usb/firewire, I personally found it easier to buy a usb3.0 rear panel shield and a headphone jack and just epoxy them in the proper place, since iirc the headphone jack is actually digital over the firewire port. But you should be able to fabricate the cable using this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g5-front-panel-quick-guide.77208/

Check out this link for resoldering the power button:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-reuse-only-the-fron-power-button-on-the-g5.199888/

As far as the headphone, and usb/firewire, I personally found it easier to buy a usb3.0 rear panel shield and a headphone jack and just epoxy them in the proper place, since iirc the headphone jack is actually digital over the firewire port. But you should be able to fabricate the cable using this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g5-front-panel-quick-guide.77208/

do you have a model in particular to recommend ?

Thanks hypnonotic for your advice!!

Well I looked at the first link and I think I'll go for it since I have others USB ports directly on my keyboard and Mic/Audio from a usb external adapter.

There is one thing I found while looking inside the power button housing, that I think it might save me some soldering.
The original soldered cables on the power button lead to a "mini" connector. I think if I get it right I only will need to insert the "naked" part of another regular power button into this mini connector and booom it should work.... theoretically.....

Well thanks again for giving me an inside out. I'll try your first method if my theory doesn't work, and if it works I'll post the results here because it might help someone in the future :).

And one more thing, here is the photo of the mini connector I'm talking.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-01-18 at 11.55.02 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-01-18 at 11.55.02 AM.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 267
do you have a model in particular to recommend ?

If you are talking about the 3.0 usb rear and audio I would definitely recomend you to buy a USB HUB and a external Mic/Audio usb card. I'm not saying this because of the hard work it would be to solder/epoxy/place things in the proper place but because of compatibility

I'll give my personal exemple. My front Audio/Mic don't work like the rear Audio/Mic of my motherboard, that's because of incompatibility of my motherboard audio driver and mac osx. Also my front Mic and Audio always, I mean ALWAYS, have and had static noise coming from them even when I used to use windows.

The thing is that a external Mic/Audio card is native compatible with mac osx. You won't have problems with kexts or static noises if you use one of these, and the best of all it's easier to reach since you can place it anywhere near you.

I bought this external Mic/Audio card here for about $10, but you can easy find even more cheaper ones > https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Ugre...32701486923.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.oHTA8c

And since the usb cable of this card is short I also bought a usb cable extensor for me to place the card on my desk.

Well I'm just giving you a advice, don't bother with anything else but the power button. Because it's truly a pain in the head.

As for the USB you could buy a simple USB HUB, you'll see it's better than having to kneel down just to plug a flashdrive

sweet!, did you reuse the headphone from the original board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back