Contribute
Register

List of Macs that can run macOS 13 Ventura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why so many people complain about the price of maxed out configs of Macs. Honestly, how many people bought fully maxed out MacPro7,1s or got the 8TB option on their Mac Studios?
That’s the main reason why they built a Hackintosh, but they didn’t max out theirs however. If people still complain about the prices for base-level Apple silicon Macs, they shouldn’t have seen the price tags of PC components in 2022.

My current Hack from 2019 was less than $800, because I could reuse lots of stuff from my previous Hack(2016), eg case, PSU, graphics card(second hand, $200), RAM, storage etc. I have added stuff over the years as needed, without paying too much. I like reusing stuff. Some parts even go back to my first private hack from 2012.

Maybe 2k for the basic Mac Studio is not too bad in 2022, but all the necessary extra's will cost lots of money, plus you will be restricted in what you can and can't get.
32GB of RAM not enough in 3 years? Bad luck.

BTW, I really need/have 8TB of storage, all SSD's, some SATA, some NVME.

My current Hack from 2019 was less than $800, because I could reuse lots of stuff from my previous Hack(2016), eg case, PSU, graphics card(second hand, $200), RAM, storage etc. I have added stuff over the years as needed, without paying too much. I like reusing stuff. Some parts even go back to my first private hack from 2012.

Maybe 2k for the basic Mac Studio is not too bad in 2022, but all the necessary extra's will cost lots of money, plus you will be restricted in what you can and can't get.
32GB of RAM not enough in 3 years? Bad luck.

BTW, I really need/have 8TB of storage, all SSD's, some SATA, some NVME.

In 3-5 years when I feel the upgrade itch, it shouldn't be too hard for me to sell my Mac Studio on eBay for decent money.

I think it will be difficult, if not impossible to sell my current rig complete. I can probably get decent cash for the CPU and video card, but that's about it. Usually, used PC components don't hold as much value as a used Mac.

I installed 64GB in my hack back in 2016 and never thought about upgrading RAM. Even if I did want to, the motherboard chipset topped out at 64GB... If you think you'll need more than 32GB, get the upgrade when you place your order.

If you really want NVMe storage that you can keep using through various systems whether they be PCs, Macs, or hacks, investing in something like the following might be a good idea.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 3.07.49 PM.png

Source:https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3EX4M2O/

Last edited:
Sure. I would never pay 3k extra for 8TB of storage.
The OWC Thunderbay 8 is quite nice if you have a bunch of SATA drives laying around.

Sure. I would never pay 3k extra for 8TB of storage.
The OWC Thunderbay 8 is quite nice if you have a bunch of SATA drives laying around.

You would also never get the speed of the internal 8TB option on the Mac Studio.

5ik8wsbxoa081.jpg
Source:https://www.******.com/r/macbookpro/comments/qwjbwl/blackmagic_disk_speed_test_results_for_m1_max/

You would also never get the speed of the internal 8TB option on the Mac Studio.

View attachment 549442
Source:https://www.******.com/r/macbookpro/comments/qwjbwl/blackmagic_disk_speed_test_results_for_m1_max/
Those figures are comparable to WD BLACK SN850(PCIe 4.0), $300 for 2TB. So 1200 for 8TB... Not 3K.

The hardware magic is in the Apple M processor, speed, GPU, on chip AI coupled with low power consumption. Hats off to that.

Those figures are comparable to WD BLACK SN850(PCIe 4.0), $300 for 2TB. So 1200 for 8TB... Not 3K.

The hardware magic is in the Apple M processor, speed, GPU, on chip AI coupled with low power consumption. Hats off to that.

The 8TB upgrade for the Mac Studio is $2400.

I was unable to find the WD SN850 in any capacities higher than 2TB... So, if you want 8TB, you'd have to find a motherboard with four Gen4 NVMe slots...

If you want four of those SN850s in a Thunderbolt enclosure, you'd be capped at 40Gbps.

The closest thing I can find is the following. It's cheaper than what Apple charges, but if you want to use it with an Apple Silicon Mac, it's going to have to be external...

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 6.24.55 PM.png

Last edited:
The 8TB upgrade for the Mac Studio is $2400.

I was unable to find the WD SN850 in any capacities higher than 2TB... So, if you want 8TB, you'd have to find a motherboard with four Gen4 NVMe slots...

If you want four of those SN850s in a Thunderbolt enclosure, you'd be capped at 40Gbps.

The closest thing I can find is the following. It's cheaper than what Apple charges, but if you want to use it with an Apple Silicon Mac, it's going to have to be external...
I totally agree. You get what you pay for.

The only issue I am really concerned with is, what happens when they fail? That's the biggest issue for Apple users.
NVMe SSDs are great, until they are not. You wouldn't know how many people I've spoken to over the years kept
telling me their stories when their iMac or Macbook Pro hard drive and logic board failed - and they lost data. Which is why for many years, I've been using (and recommended) RAID drives for storage. Sure they're not half as quick as todays NVMes, but they get the job done. Because for us (editing photos and such) we don't need the full 8TB on hand at full speed, only a fraction (since we don't do high-end video) - 1 to 2TB is more than sufficient as everything else is offloaded to the external drive.

As it goes my office is still using a SAS SCSI Areca RAID with my current Alder Lake hack alongside a Drobo 5D. The SCSI drive had been there when I first started my Gigabyte Z77X Thunderbolt build from @Stork's guide all those years ago and is still going strong (thanks to the flexibility of a hackintosh).

I totally agree. You get what you pay for.

The only issue I am really concerned with is, what happens when they fail? That's the biggest issue for Apple users.
NVMe SSDs are great, until they are not. You wouldn't know how many people I've spoken to over the years kept
telling me their stories when their iMac or Macbook Pro hard drive and logic board failed - and they lost data. Which is why for many years, I've been using (and recommended) RAID drives for storage. Sure they're not half as quick as todays NVMes, but they get the job done. Because for us (editing photos and such) we don't need the full 8TB on hand at full speed, only a fraction (since we don't do high-end video) - 1 to 2TB is more than sufficient as everything else is offloaded to the external drive.

As it goes my office is still using a SAS SCSI Areca RAID with my current Alder Lake hack alongside a Drobo 5D. The SCSI drive had been there when I first started my Gigabyte Z77X Thunderbolt build from @Stork's guide all those years ago and is still going strong (thanks to the flexibility of a hackintosh).

I understand that SSDs have finite lifespans but, personally, I have never come close to exhausting the lifespan of any SSD I've owned. I also make sure to configure my systems with enough RAM so that there isn't excessive memory paging and swap memory.

Even with my more pedestrian 2TB SSD in my Mac Studio, performance is incredible. This amazing speed really makes everything feel super snappy. Booting happens in an eye blink. Double click on apps and they launch. No more bouncing icons in the Dock. It makes my Z370-G hack feel antiquated.
Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 9.35.46 PM.png

I have my Time Machine backing up to my NAS. All of it happens transparently to me and I never even know it's happening. The drives in my NAS are running SHR which means no data will be lost even if a drive fails.

I own two of these and have used them for at least eight years. The one below has Big Sur installed, still works fine.

5C3E1DC4-797D-4913-B48E-134D6E547C1D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back