List of Macs that can run macOS 13 Ventura

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who interest in SMBIOS identifiers:
  • iMac18,x - iMac19,x - iMac20,x - iMac21,x
  • MacPro7,1
  • iMacPro1,1
  • Mac13,x (Mac Studio)
  • MacBookAir8,x - MacBookAir9,1 - MacBookAir10,1 - MacBookAir11,1 (presumed)
  • Macmini8,1 - Macmini9,1
  • MacBookPro14,x - MacBookPro15,x - MacBookPro16,x - MacBookPro17,1 - MacBookPro18,x - MacBookPro19,1 (presumed)
  • MacBook10,1
(Apple silicon models are greyed out)

So MacOS Ventura still maintains an Intel build.

I still expect MacOS to lose Intel support after Ventura. It will be a surprise to me if Apple keeps supporting Intel Macs with a MacOS next year.

So MacOS Ventura still maintains an Intel build.

I still expect MacOS to lose Intel support after Ventura. It will be a surprise to me if Apple keeps supporting Intel Macs with a MacOS next year.
It is possibly but unlikely, as Intel-based Mac mini and Mac Pro are still available. I still expect they will be supported up to macOS 15 or 16, one or two years longer than the transition from PowerPC to Intel CPUs (4 years total).

Also noticed how Apple used the terms of years. Mac Studio in only 2022 is supported, but Mac Pro is described as 2019 and later. A hint of upcoming new Mac Pros?
Back in March, John T confirmed that one more Mac remains to be transitioned to Apple Silicon — the Mac Pro. “But that’s for another day,” which will likely occur this fall.

It is possibly but unlikely, as Intel-based Mac mini and Mac Pro are still available. I still expect they will be supported up to macOS 15 or 16, one or two years longer than the transition from PowerPC to Intel CPUs (4 years total).
Apple may well want to hasten the end of Intel macOS support, but those who buy a $6000 Mac Pro today (industry professionals) will only get 2 more years of macOS support?

Apple may well want to hasten the end of Intel macOS support, but those who buy a $6000 Mac Pro today (industry professionals) will only get 2 more years of macOS support?
For Apple it's 2+3 years.

I still expect they will be supported up to macOS 15 or 16, one or two years longer than the transition from PowerPC to Intel CPUs
This is possible because back in 2006 they had to transition much faster than they do today. Back then, Apple was not the Mega Corp. they are today. Here's every thing Apple released in 2006. Basically only two consumer products, Macs and iPods.
Screen Shot.jpg

Compare that to all the sources of revenue from products and services they have today in 2022. Macs are only a small part of their product line and revenue. The iPhone and iPad generate the majority of revenues. Here's the current revenue numbers:
  • Apple revenue for the quarter ending March 31, 2022 was $97.278B, a 8.59% increase year-over-year.
  • Apple revenue for the twelve months ending March 31, 2022 was $386.017B, a 18.63% increase year-over-year.
Fiscal first quarter of 2006 revenue: "Apple posted revenue of $5.75 billion and a net quarterly profit of $565 million."

They also don't have Steve around to "crack the whip" and make things go faster at Apple. Cook uses a completely different management style. Would Jobs have ever let the 2019 MP team take that long to get it done ?

Last edited:
those who buy a $6000 Mac Pro today (industry professionals) will only get 2 more years of macOS support?
Pros who waited for over 6 years to get that MP refresh from Apple. They don't want to lose them as customers.

those who buy a $6000 Mac Pro today (industry professionals) will only get 2 more years of macOS support?

If they are lucky.

This is possible because back in 2006 they had to transition much faster than they do today. Back then, Apple was not the Mega Corp. they are today. Here's every thing Apple released in 2006. Basically only two consumer products, Macs and iPods.
View attachment 549209
Compare that to all the sources of revenue from products and services they have today in 2022. Macs are only a small part of their product line and revenue. The iPhone and iPad generate the majority of revenues. They also don't have Steve around to "crack the whip" and make things go faster at Apple.

Look at the MacPro1,1 and Xserve1,1. Released 2006. Last officially supported OS, 10.7 OS X Lion, was released 2011. So, approx 5 years.

MacPro7,1 was released in 2019. 2019 + 5 years = 2024.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back