Contribute
Register

List of AMD Radeon Navi cards in Catalina That work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, can the latest Catalina be installed on a fresh built system with a Navi card inside? I have read conflicting infos here and elsewhere, so now I'm not sure. Lots of people seem to recommend installation with a RX 580 or similar and then switching to e.g. 5700 XT. But is that really necessary, now Navi is supported natively?

Thanks!

Asus Strix RX 5700 XT Working

How do you get it to work? I have the same card however I got kernel panic during boot. It is working fine with window 10.

Tried adgpmod=pikera
Updated Weg, lilu still cannot get it to work?

I got it working without any problems with iMacPro config (configured after OS install) and upgraded directly from High Sierra to Catalina. There must be something else in your configuration.

macOS Catalina Beta 15.1 version 2 now includes the new AMDRadeon6000kext and supporting kexts to allow support for the new Navi cards.

Appreciate the list of Navi cards "supported".

It would be helpful to the readers and members here to mention a "caveat".
That caveat being that the "AMDRadeon6000kext and supporting kexts to allow support for the new Navi cards" for GUI acceleration of the macOS User interface and not necessarily the acceleration of H.264/HEVC video encoding/decoding in specific macOS Apps (e.g. Quicktime, FCPX, etc). Unless, you can list the Apps that will work with these "supported" Navi cards.

That is, "support" does not necessarily mean support for encode/decode of those codecs via the Navi cards.

In other words, you would not want to inadvertantly mislead any users into assuming that if they bought a new navi card (because it is listed here), then it will "just" work with their video editing apps. It may or it may not.

I suggest a caution should be added to you original post.

Appreciate the list of Navi cards "supported".

It would be helpful to the readers and members here to mention a "caveat".
That caveat being that the "AMDRadeon6000kext and supporting kexts to allow support for the new Navi cards" for GUI acceleration of the macOS User interface and not necessarily the acceleration of H.264/HEVC video encoding/decoding in specific macOS Apps (e.g. Quicktime, FCPX, etc). Unless, you can list the Apps that will work with these "supported" Navi cards.

That is, "support" does not necessarily mean support for encode/decode of those codecs via the Navi cards.

In other words, you would not want to inadvertantly mislead any users into assuming that if they bought a new navi card (because it is listed here), then it will "just" work with their video editing apps. It may or it may not.

I suggest a caution should be added to you original post.
Good idea, I’ll put a disclaimer in there. It would be a good idea to star another h264, HVEC thread for Navi cards like the Polaris thread.

What really sucks is Apple changing up support and card functions on a whim with updates or new software releases.

Good idea, I’ll put a disclaimer in there. It would be a good idea to star another h264, HVEC thread for Navi cards like the Polaris thread.
Thanks.

What really sucks is Apple changing up support and card functions on a whim with updates or new software releases.
I agree. They did that for Polaris when Catalina and FCPX 10.4.7 came out. They don't don't really care as most of the "professional" community have fairly hi-end CPU's in their Mac's and will probably not notice that their CPU/iGPU is getting thrashed instead of the GPU.

So same of them support H.264/HEVC and same not? I would not call it supported.

So is there any of them which support H.264/HEVC for the moment?

My Asus Strix RX 5700 XT Ram is mostly on load for 90% all the time does anybody have the same problem or is it a problem if yes how to fix it? I monitor it with istat menu and tried other apps the ram is used for 90% most of the time.

macOS Catalina Beta 15.1 version 2 now includes the new AMDRadeon6000kext and supporting kexts to allow support for the new Navi cards.
Whatevergreenkext either needs to be disabled or removed or you can use this boot argument. agpdmod=pikera

List of 5700 Series Cards tested and working:
Sapphire 5700XT reference
Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Sapphire Nitro + 5700XT
Sapphire Pulse 5700
Gigabyte reference 5700
**Gigabyte Gaming 5700XT
MSI Evoke 5700XT
Asus ROG Strix 5700XT
Asus 5700XT reference
Asus TUF gaming
XFX 5700XT reference
Powercolor Red Dragon 5700XT
Visiontek 5700

List of 5500 Series Cards tested and working:

MSI 5500XT Gaming 8gb

Note: per suggestion from macnb the Navi cards work in the GUI but there may be certain apps or software update versions that may affect their decoding.

Quote: It would be helpful to the readers and members here to mention a "caveat".

If you have a different brand and or make please list it along with a screenshot showing support. The above cards have different vbios versions so this is good news as it appears all Brands should be functional. If you test and it doesn't work please post results as well.
why not the msi rx 5700 xt gaming x ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back