Contribute
Register

List of AMD Radeon Navi cards in Catalina That work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed my new Sapphire Pulse 5700XT but it won’t boot unless I safe boot. Deleted Whatevergreen out of Library/Extensions and added the adgpmod=pikera line. What did I do wrong? Thanks!

Try disabling the IGPU in bios

Try disabling the IGPU in bios
It was already disabled. Just to verify, Whatevergreen.kext should be deleted in /library/extensions and in the EFI partition’s kexts/other folder? And, if so, Do I need adgpmod=pikera too?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work. The Shikigva=60 variable was still in my config and once I deleted it, the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT boots! Thanks!!

Edit2: Actually, I spoke too soon. I had to do one more step. Had to remove Inject ATI and Oronico frame buffer from the Graphics section. Now it boots up reliably.

Last edited:
It was already disabled. Just to verify, Whatevergreen.kext should be deleted in /library/extensions and in the EFI partition’s kexts/other folder? And, if so, Do I need adgpmod=pikera too?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work. The Shikigva=60 variable was still in my config and once I deleted it, the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT boots! Thanks!!

So here is what you did:

1. still kept the latest WEG
2. removed Shikigva=60
3. added adgpmod=pikera

am I right? Thanks.

Ended up going with the Asus Rog Strix 5700xt and so far everything is working great. I did exactly what was recommended by @iDrakus here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...x580-pulse-build.272572/page-262#post-2028045

1. Use the Catalina DGPU config from page 1 of that post
2. Replaced Lilu and WEG kexts with the latest downloaded from the downloads area
3. Replaced the config.plist with the one from iDrakus linked above

So far things are running nicely at 2k @ 144hz. Hope this helps anyone else working through this.

2019-11-07 at 11.34 AM.png

So here is what you did:

1. still kept the latest WEG
2. removed Shikigva=60
3. added adgpmod=pikera

am I right? Thanks.
Actually, I spoke too soon. I had to do one more step. Had to remove Inject ATI and Oronico frame buffer from the Graphics section. Now it boots up reliably.

Thank you guys for this info.

macOS Catalina Beta 15.1 version 2 now includes the new AMDRadeon6000kext and supporting kexts to allow support for the new Navi cards.
Whatevergreenkext either needs to be disabled or removed or you can use this boot argument. agpdmod=pikera

Thanks for the post! Could you please clarify if this means fully native support or just native drivers and still requires a power table? I'm running a Vega 64 and although there was native driver support, the fan and power control took a while to figure out. I'd like to avoid all that by upgrading, but only if it's true plug 'n play.

Thanks for the post! Could you please clarify if this means fully native support or just native drivers and still requires a power table? I'm running a Vega 64 and although there was native driver support, the fan and power control took a while to figure out. I'd like to avoid all that by upgrading, but only if it's true plug 'n play.

This is speculation, but I think power and fan control will always be necessary as none of the cards we have access to are 'stock' apple configurations, nor are we using the same cooling systems and sensors apple uses... so to get the most out of the cards we CAN get, tweaking will always be necessary. (My 0.02)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back