Contribute
Register

List of AMD Radeon Navi cards in Catalina That work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
macOS Catalina Beta 15.1 version 2 now includes the new AMDRadeon6000kext and supporting kexts to allow support for the new Navi cards.
Whatevergreenkext either needs to be disabled or removed or you can use this boot argument. agpdmod=pikera

List of 5700 Series Cards tested and working:
Sapphire 5700XT reference
Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Sapphire Nitro + 5700XT
Sapphire Pulse 5700
Gigabyte reference 5700
**Gigabyte Gaming 5700XT
MSI Evoke 5700XT
Asus ROG Strix 5700XT
Asus 5700XT reference
Asus TUF gaming
XFX 5700XT reference
Powercolor Red Dragon 5700XT
Visiontek 5700

List of 5500 Series Cards tested and working:

MSI 5500XT Gaming 8gb

Note: per suggestion from macnb the Navi cards work in the GUI but there may be certain apps or software update versions that may affect their decoding.

Quote: It would be helpful to the readers and members here to mention a "caveat".
That caveat being that the "AMDRadeon6000kext and supporting kexts to allow support for the new Navi cards" for GUI acceleration of the macOS User interface and not necessarily the acceleration of H.264/HEVC video encoding/decoding in specific macOS Apps (e.g. Quicktime, FCPX, etc). Unless, you can list the Apps that will work with these "supported" Navi cards.

If you have a different brand and or make please list it along with a screenshot showing support. The above cards have different vbios versions so this is good news as it appears all Brands should be functional. If you test and it doesn't work please post results as well.

Last edited:
Asus 5700 XT (reference) works. I had to disable WhateverGreen, kept only RadeonDeInit enabled in Clover.

Cannot play DRM (tried on rented Rocketman from TV).

Edit: Works with two monitors, DP (Dell P2715Q) + HDMI (iiyama E2710HDS).

VDADecoderChecker deems acceleration as fully supported, although complained something about IGPU plane not being found.

After enabling WhateverGreen, with agdpmod=pikera it works after all. I had my DP monitor plugged in to the wrong socket.

And now VDADecoderChecker returns no warnings or errors.

Had one crash though, don't know the reason unfortunately.

Last edited:
What a good news !! I will buy for sure the Sapphire RX 5700 XT nitro+ to replace my 1070 :)

Sapphire RX 5700 XT reference. No dual bios that I can see. DP didn't work so I just plugged in the HDMI. I didn't get the full 5120x1440 resolution or the Scaling option. I just used RDM to adjust resolution for now. Just installed it and haven't even booted up the windows side yet.

Thanks taking notes
Sapphire, Powercolor, have dual bios.
Any others please leave a post? Asking for a friend.
I think its a 3 way switch on the Nitro +, one is for performance, one is for silent, and I think the 3rd is for Trixx software controlled bios settings. But I'm not too sure on that last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back